To much fish for my tank?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small 1-2” hippo tang will need to be rehomed within a year in a 4’ tank. They grow quite fast, and waiting too long to rehome it will cause it longterm health issues (stunted growth, compressed internal organs, fatty liver disease, obesity, and a drastically shortened lifespan). Once it reaches 4”, a 4’ 90g tank will be too small. Unless you have a realistic, concrete plan to upgrade within a year or have arrangement in place beforehand for a larger tank for it to go to, you shouldn’t get one. The fish’s health and well-being should come before what your wife ‘has to have’, use it as an excuse to upgrade.
I have to agree with this. More of this ^

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's the colors of it really. Which I agree, they do have pretty colors. Maybe cause of finding nemo.... Lol hard to tell with her.
If it’s to do with the colours, you can always look into some of the wrasses with blues or maybe a peaceful damsel with blue colours?

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s to do with the colours, you can always look into some of the wrasses with blues or maybe a peaceful damsel with blue colours?
Yeah that's why I was hoping to go with a fairy wrasse or another one of the wrasse.

I really don't ask her many questions or give her much push backs with what she wants, because she supports my hobby and doesn't ask how much I spent so far lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's why I was hoping to go with a fairy wrasse or another one of the wrasse.

I really don't ask her many questions or give her much push backs with what she wants, because she supports my hobby and doesn't ask how much I spent so far lol.
If you like blue then here’s just a few wrasses I can think of;
- Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus
- Cirrhilabrus hygroxerus
- Paracheilinus cyaneus
- Paracheilinus lineopunctatus
- Macropharyngodon negrosensis
- Anampses caerulapunctatus
The two Paracheilinus you will want to get as males and you’ll want to have a second Paracheilinus with them to get them to show off that stunning blue colour they get when displaying. As for the Negrosensis, the blue is only seen in the male stage so you’ll want to either get a pair or a transitioning male.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you have a a stocking list set up already for fish, but a few days ago @SaltyT and @i cant think helped me out with my stocking list for my 90 gallon, which is also 4’. I don’t have much of blue but this may help out with some ideas:

Currently own:

Pair of Amphiprion Bullet Mocha Vinci (female)
Amphiprion Naked Mocha (male)
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma/Chaetodontoplus-? - (Black Velvet Angelfish/Black Phantom Angelfish Hybrid)

Stocking plan:

Valenciennea puellaris - (Diamond Watchman Goby)
Oxycirrhites typu - (Longnose Hawkfish)
Siganus magnificus - (Magnificent Foxface)
Cirrhilabrus naokoae - (Naoko Fairy Wrasse)
Ctenochaetus flavicauda - (White Tail Bristletooth tang)
Halichoeres melasmapomus - (Earmuff Wrasse)
Paracheilinus attenautus - (Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis - (Golden Rhomboid Wrasse -supermale-)
Macropharyngodon marisrubri - (Leopard Wrasse -male-)
Opistognathus aurifrons - (Pearly-head Jawfish)
Genicanthus bellus - (Bellus Angelfish -female-)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I appreciate the info! Well. Where the aiptasia was, I was able to move the frag out and scrap it off the frag and put a little super glue where it was and haven't seen it there since. What do you think about berghia nudibranch?

I am looking into getting aiptasia x, but I can only treat the ones I can see with that. Which I know they probably have others in the tank, why I'm looking for something else to help me out.

Would you suggest anything else for the CUC and to help with the alage? I did recently get my RODI from BRS, so I know that will end up helping as well.
I used Berghia about 7 months ago and worked like a charm. I got them from Reeftown but recently Tidal Gardens began selling them. I wouldn’t get any unless you see aptasia in your tank as that is the only thing that they eat. I would highly recommend a tuxedo urchin or two. Mine is the hardest worker of all my cuc.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt repeat the same mistake that put you into a fallow tank. Cant tell you how many times ive heard/read the ill upgrade my tank down the road… id say 90% dont and 50% arent in the hobby. Wait til you upgrade - then get tang.
This. You should just start with a 125-150 and be done with it. I wish I did but now ive got my tank where its at im very happy with it.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like blue then here’s just a few wrasses I can think of;
- Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus
- Cirrhilabrus hygroxerus
- Paracheilinus cyaneus
- Paracheilinus lineopunctatus
- Macropharyngodon negrosensis
- Anampses caerulapunctatus
The two Paracheilinus you will want to get as males and you’ll want to have a second Paracheilinus with them to get them to show off that stunning blue colour they get when displaying. As for the Negrosensis, the blue is only seen in the male stage so you’ll want to either get a pair or a transitioning male.
STOP IT. i can’t buy anymore fish :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Your the reason why i want to put more wrasses in my tank:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you have a a stocking list set up already for fish, but a few days ago @SaltyT and @i cant think helped me out with my stocking list for my 90 gallon, which is also 4’. I don’t have much of blue but this may help out with some ideas:

Currently own:

Pair of Amphiprion Bullet Mocha Vinci (female)
Amphiprion Naked Mocha (male)
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma/Chaetodontoplus-? - (Black Velvet Angelfish/Black Phantom Angelfish Hybrid)

Stocking plan:

Valenciennea puellaris - (Diamond Watchman Goby)
Oxycirrhites typu - (Longnose Hawkfish)
Siganus magnificus - (Magnificent Foxface)
Cirrhilabrus naokoae - (Naoko Fairy Wrasse)
Ctenochaetus flavicauda - (White Tail Bristletooth tang)
Halichoeres melasmapomus - (Earmuff Wrasse)
Paracheilinus attenautus - (Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis - (Golden Rhomboid Wrasse -supermale-)
Macropharyngodon marisrubri - (Leopard Wrasse -male-)
Opistognathus aurifrons - (Pearly-head Jawfish)
Genicanthus bellus - (Bellus Angelfish -female-)
That's awesome! Definitely very similar to what I want!

I forgot about the leopard wrasse. With the wife be a huge leopard lover, maybe that will get her mind of the blue tang lol.

Are they really as difficult as they say?
Would they do well with a coral beauty?
What are some other colorful wrasse they would go well with?

My tank only been up for 4 months now too, but this is my update stocking list, since I originally posted this:

Looking to add:
bristletooth tomini tang
one spot fox face
Longnose hawkfish
Leopard wrasse-male
File fish
Tuxedo urchin

Currently
Sally light foot
Pistol shrimp and diamond watchmen
couple snails
2 clown fish
coral beauty

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. You should just start with a 125-150 and be done with it. I wish I did but now ive got my tank where its at im very happy with it.
Yeah... I been in the fresh water hobby for years and this is my first salt tank. But the house we bought was on a slab mainly so I can have a 120+. But I found a great deal on a 90 and couldn't pass up and quickly found out our living room isn't big enough for really anything bigger lol.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I appreciate the info! Well. Where the aiptasia was, I was able to move the frag out and scrap it off the frag and put a little super glue where it was and haven't seen it there since. What do you think about berghia nudibranch?

I am looking into getting aiptasia x, but I can only treat the ones I can see with that. Which I know they probably have others in the tank, why I'm looking for something else to help me out.

Would you suggest anything else for the CUC and to help with the alage? I did recently get my RODI from BRS, so I know that will end up helping as well.
If you only have a few aptaisia, berghia won't work.
I'll tell you why.
They hunt in packs. This is why they tell you X amount for Y size tank. If they don't find aptasia, they die.
If you have only a few aptaisia they need to search all around the tank to stumble upon it. Chances at this point are slim.
But, if you have a bunch aptaisia the chances of berghia of finding it are much greater. They get fat, they mate and lay eggs. Eggs hatch and now you have an army.
My best advice for a few aptaisia are to hit them manually as said already.

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell you why.
They hunt in packs. This is why they tell you X amount for Y size tank. If they don't find aptasia, they die.
If you have only a few aptaisia they need to search all around the tank to stumble upon it. Chances at this point are slim.
But, if you have a bunch aptaisia the chances of berghia of finding it are much greater. They get fat, they mate and lay eggs. Eggs hatch and now you have an army.
Appreciate it!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Definitely very similar to what I want!

I forgot about the leopard wrasse. With the wife be a huge leopard lover, maybe that will get her mind of the blue tang lol.

Are they really as difficult as they say?
Would they do well with a coral beauty?
What are some other colorful wrasse they would go well with?

My tank only been up for 4 months now too, but this is my update stocking list, since I originally posted this:

Looking to add:
bristletooth tomini tang
one spot fox face
Longnose hawkfish
Leopard wrasse-male
File fish
Tuxedo urchin

Currently
Sally light foot
Pistol shrimp and diamond watchmen
couple snails
2 clown fish
coral beauty
Honestly, Leopards are only difficult if you find an unhealthy one. Follow these guidelines to a healthy leopard and you should be on an easy road.
- Make sure it has NO mouth damages
- Does it look lethargic/diseased? If yes then pass on it
- Put them into a more established tank (I put mine into my nano when it was 7 months old but you could add one in a 5-6 month old tank)
- Does it already feed at the LFS?
- If it does feed and passes every other check, go for it
- If it doesn’t feed, ditch it

That should be every key issue with leopards. As long as the leopard is the first wrasse to go in and is in with peaceful fish at first you should be fine :)

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell you why.
They do work but this ^ is the info!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, Leopards are only difficult if you find an unhealthy one. Follow these guidelines to a healthy leopard and you should be on an easy road.
- Put them into a more established tank (I put mine into my nano when it was 7 months old but you could add one in a 5-6 month old tank)

That should be every key issue with leopards. As long as the leopard is the first wrasse to go in and is in with peaceful fish at first you should be fine :)
Just follow this ^ and you‘ll be good to go. @i cant think is your go to guy for these things;)

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome! Thank you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back