To much skimming?

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm new to R2R and had a quick question. Is there such a thing as too much protein skimming? Do most reefers run there skimmer constantly? Or is it good to shut it down once in a while? Thanks guys and gals

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No and yes—they work better when operated under stable conditions. I’ve seen estimates where even the best skimmers only remove about 30% of the potential gunk in the water. They also help aerate the water and promote gas exchange.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am of the belief that there is no such thing as over-skimming. They are so inefficient (30-35%), they can't pull out too much stuff.

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my skimmer 24/7 on my 150, I run a wet skimmer meaning I'm also pulling out a bit of water about a cup every 4 to 5 days. I also have a pellet reactor going into the intake of my skimmer which takes up half of the skimmer intake hole and I run EcoBakplus bio pellets which seem to work great for me after trying other pellets.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using Kalkwassar with your 2-part to save some money and this will help your skimmer work a little better. I get a ton of nice thick bubbles with it.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are zero nutrients such as phosphate or nitrates I guess you would be over skimming. I just had to turn mine off until I build up a bit of nutrients.. my skimmer was filling up every week. But my tank is reading zero phosphate and nitrates and my torch corals don’t look so hot.. But my tank only finished cycling in Oct and started it with Dry Rock so it was pretty sterile..

Tom S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 gallon mixed reef. Montis, seriatapora, acans, pallys,etc. No skimmer. I took it out a year ago, and have better color, faster growth, and better polyp extension. Different strokes I guess.

Alexander serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running this one on my 150 it was a little over kill it will stop skimming some time and star when the nutrients where available
2FF282C3-3F73-41D2-AA95-1AA4566AD2EC.jpeg

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not something I would worry about (over skimming). I prefer to run a skimmer 24/7 for aeration...and when possible, with a fresh air intake line to the bubble pump...which can really help stabilize pH (particularly in climates where there are seasons when doors/windows are consistently closed).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back