hahahah.

Paint it!

MLREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 125 gallon - the classic 72" long rectangle tank with two overflows. I am leaning toward painting the back of the tank but would love to know if there is any downside to painting it? The tank is so large that once I get it in place, I'll never be able to move it, so I want to make a good choice.
thanks for your time and any suggestions you may have.
Lori
Paint it a color that you will enjoy for a long time. I like the really dark blue vs. black.

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto.

My nano is clear, it's annoying TO ME seeing the cabling and shadows behind the tank.

I've painted both of my 40 Breeders and now my new Waterbox. Once again, TO ME, it looks so much cleaner and allows a strong contrast to the tank inhabitants.

I stressed TO ME because it is truly a preference. Some people like it, some don't. My recommendation would be to go with your gut. If you are truly still on the fence, go with the window tint. It would likely be easy(ish) to remove if you decide you don't like the background color. But if your gut says paint it, I'd go that route.

I have used krylon fusion with no negative affect and it's held up for years. I painted my most recent tank with Rust-Oleum black enamel and I have no doubt it will hold up. And it looks great!

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issue I see with paint is going to sell it when you want an upgrade and buyer doesn’t want it black or whatever is painted there.

Going to go with black vinyl or something on Amazon to black out back of my build instead of paint.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newbie question about painting...doesn’t salt creep or humidity make it peel or flake?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some sheets of black corrugated plastic and cut them to size to laminate the back of my tank with. It was easier than using vinyl. They fit snug on the back and I can just slide them out at any time if I want to change things up. Saltwater that gets on them won't mess up the plastic, and I can clean them if I really need to.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back