to paint or not to paint?

scubagal8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 125 gallon - the classic 72" long rectangle tank with two overflows. I am leaning toward painting the back of the tank but would love to know if there is any downside to painting it? The tank is so large that once I get it in place, I'll never be able to move it, so I want to make a good choice.
thanks for your time and any suggestions you may have.
Lori

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No down side you are just stuck with the color. Most saltwater tank choose black as a background color. You use to see blue back grounds too. But today most choose black.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first “large tank” was a 90 gallon Coner Flow. I painted the back black, and couldn’t have been happier. I now have a reefer 525 and it comes blacked out, however if I was doing a tank again that wasn’t I would paint it without hesitation.

SKMoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish more responses were here. I have 150 and am considering not painting it black on the back. The wall behind is a dark tan, mid brown color. My default plan is to just paint black and be done with it, but there’s a thought in my mind to choose to be different here..

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mine dark blue..almost did black but the rest of my tanks are black. I dig the blue.
20210107_202906.jpg

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 6’ 135 and one of my biggest regrets is not painting the back. No way to do it now without a massive amount of work. I hung a piece of black curtain behind it, and it looked good for the first year or two, then a little dust and salt creep started to show. I will NEVER not paint the back of a tank again.

Gemdora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish more responses were here. I have 150 and am considering not painting it black on the back. The wall behind is a dark tan, mid brown color. My default plan is to just paint black and be done with it, but there’s a thought in my mind to choose to be different here..
20201217_211406.jpg

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my tank custom made with back and left hand side made with “Black glass”. Stunning finish. Love it.

Unless you have a tank viewable from the back I would absolutely recommend a black background - makes fish and corals “pop” against the contrasting back.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever paint in other colors? Like purple? Yellow? Florescent green? I wonder how those would look in different lighting...

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever paint in other colors? Like purple? Yellow? Florescent green? I wonder how those would look in different lighting...
I feel like I saw this on an episode of Skin Wars. No, wait -- I did! I think that special fluorescing paints could be used for very cool detailing in specialty tanks. Everyone wants a "naturalistic" reef tank, but there's no reason you couldn't do a "city" tank with aquarium-friendly bricks instead of coral, with flourescing paint for graffiti, and macro for weeds in the "pavement". Okay, that's not to my taste, either, but it'd look cool until the tank grew out.

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 125 gallon - the classic 72" long rectangle tank with two overflows. I am leaning toward painting the back of the tank but would love to know if there is any downside to painting it? The tank is so large that once I get it in place, I'll never be able to move it, so I want to make a good choice.
thanks for your time and any suggestions you may have.
Lori
Can paint or use the darkest car tint you can find. I did double 5% black car tint and it’s blacked out

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone wants a "naturalistic" reef tank, but there's no reason you couldn't do a "city" tank with aquarium-friendly bricks instead of coral

Yeah, I'm working on plans for a desktop pico, and trying to think out of the box a little. Trying to come up with alternate fun colors, or internal deco that has a little character... I dunno.. maybe I'll get a pack of vinyl sheets and do some color samples once I get the lighting worked out... ha. fun idea!

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a lot of my freshwater tanks with "stained glass" window cling...... You can get a lot of color patterns and designs on Amazon. It looked awesome especially after the plants grew in and it was just little peeks of color behind it. I'm not sure I would do it for saltwater though, I would be afraid of salt getting between the film and glass

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought would be to use the vinyl sheets to just get an idea of the color with the lights on, and then paint the back.. it's a pico, so it's cheap to swap around for testing..

tgcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Paint the back, salt creep is super annoying to deal with on the back glass

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back