To peninsula or to not peninsula that is the question.

OP
OP
PurpleMonsterSlayer

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update while leak testing the Acrylic tank I notice a little bow in long walls and I also wanted it a little taller. So after debating to rebuild it taller with 3/4” acrylic or just add a Euro brace and deal with the height I came up with just get a custom glass tank. After doing some research on tank builders I decided on a reef savvy till I found out they were to busy to even give me a quote so I went with glass cages and ordered a 48”wide x 30”depth x 18” tall
2F39280F-DEAC-48E1-BE81-3C8E1E302F1A.jpeg
DDAF1564-8887-45B2-BE3A-B299C7FB303F.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update while leak testing the Acrylic tank I notice a little bow in long walls and I also wanted it a little taller. So after debating to rebuild it taller with 3/4” acrylic or just add a Euro brace and deal with the height I came up with just get a custom glass tank. After doing some research on tank builders I decided on a reef savvy till I found out they were to busy to even give me a quote so I went with glass cages and ordered a 48”wide x 30”depth x 18” tall
2F39280F-DEAC-48E1-BE81-3C8E1E302F1A.jpeg
DDAF1564-8887-45B2-BE3A-B299C7FB303F.jpeg

NICE!
Joe and team over at G.C are building some amazing tanks theses days. I hope to get a large tank from him in a year or so.

nice choice on the T slot stand. mind sharing the build cost of the stand? what are you going to trim it out in? that is the part I struggle with.

U

User1

View Badges
While peninsula are very attractive, and I have one, it depends on the installation and location. Case in point ours was supposed to be notched in a wall so the main part of the display is in our office and the other in a wall in our hallway. I went through the extra expense to have low iron glass on the 3 visible panes specifically for this. Today ask me if the tank is notched in the wall let alone in the place I had visioned? Nope, it isn't.

Maybe you are better at planning or paper vision to reality but I wasn't so wasted a bit of money in the upfront tank cost. Not a huge deal really but it is something to note. It gets a bit more complicated because the overflow design is peninsula when a true cost to cost would have been more ideal since its new position. Still works, but a issue. Now flow. Back to peninsula and returns and again tank position, well, everything is all wrong.

So back to your question. Peninsula if you are going to make use of the design. If not then no. Traditional since it will better support your overflow, returns, and flow in general. My tank is only 2 years into its upgrade and I'm already considering a redesign and this is one of the reasons.

OP
OP
PurpleMonsterSlayer

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE!
Joe and team over at G.C are building some amazing tanks theses days. I hope to get a large tank from him in a year or so.

nice choice on the T slot stand. mind sharing the build cost of the stand? what are you going to trim it out in? that is the part I struggle with.
Yes I was very impressed with the tank. It was built with same quality and technique as my water box aquarium or a Red Sea but had extra bracing on the bottom to help prevent and blow outs.

As far as the stand I considered it for a while and I’m still not sure if I’m going to use Pvc foam or make some wood panels put I have decided how I’m going to mount them after I ran across a YouTube video from The “Izzys”. In the video he’s using handles I’m debating on the handles, just a small hole to grab it and pull it off or or using a removable magnetic handle that can be used on all the panels. A link to the video below

And cost it gets up there but I’m extremely happy with it and the ability to use the T slots for mounting things. Link to kit Tslot stands https://www.framingtech.com/solutions/aquarium-stands/

OP
OP
PurpleMonsterSlayer

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While peninsula are very attractive, and I have one, it depends on the installation and location. Case in point ours was supposed to be notched in a wall so the main part of the display is in our office and the other in a wall in our hallway. I went through the extra expense to have low iron glass on the 3 visible panes specifically for this. Today ask me if the tank is notched in the wall let alone in the place I had visioned? Nope, it isn't.

Maybe you are better at planning or paper vision to reality but I wasn't so wasted a bit of money in the upfront tank cost. Not a huge deal really but it is something to note. It gets a bit more complicated because the overflow design is peninsula when a true cost to cost would have been more ideal since its new position. Still works, but a issue. Now flow. Back to peninsula and returns and again tank position, well, everything is all wrong.

So back to your question. Peninsula if you are going to make use of the design. If not then no. Traditional since it will better support your overflow, returns, and flow in general. My tank is only 2 years into its upgrade and I'm already considering a redesign and this is one of the reasons.
I appreciate your feed back but I already have the tank and decided to put it in a big walk way diving two rooms so both long sides will be visible one from the kitchen we’re the kitchen table is and the other for a sitting room. As far as flow goes I’m sure I’ll have enough with two random flow generators for the return pushed by an EcoTech vectra M2 which is a temporary pump for now but it will give me a good indication on how much more I’ll need. I have a 6 Mp40’s, 4 Mp60’s and a maxspect gyre xf350 lying around. Hoping to not have to use the maxspect gyre since it will have to be mounted on the small third wall of the tank opposite of the overflow and the mp40’s or mp60’s can be mounted on the back wall with the overflow to help hide them. Either way I go I’ll add some micro bubble to that tank to observe the flow and make adjustments prior to adding fish and corals. Keep in mind it only a 112g completely fully

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was very impressed with the tank. It was built with same quality and technique as my water box aquarium or a Red Sea but had extra bracing on the bottom to help prevent and blow outs.

As far as the stand I considered it for a while and I’m still not sure if I’m going to use Pvc foam or make some wood panels put I have decided how I’m going to mount them after I ran across a YouTube video from The “Izzys”. In the video he’s using handles I’m debating on the handles, just a small hole to grab it and pull it off or or using a removable magnetic handle that can be used on all the panels. A link to the video below

And cost it gets up there but I’m extremely happy with it and the ability to use the T slots for mounting things. Link to kit Tslot stands https://www.framingtech.com/solutions/aquarium-stands/

thanks for the video ever seen that one.
I almost build 2 stand sfrom T slot I was gonna go the magnet way to attach wood or glass.

long story short I traded a new RS 750 for the 650P 1/2 a year ago to a fish store 8 hrs away.
so I have that coming for the new house. finally have a perfect place for a peninsula tank! woot woot
I was thinking of a G.C tank instead but then I would have to build a stand I would go T slot but it added up + after a year and half renovation I just wanted PnP system, so i will stick with the RS tank for now.

excited to watch this come together!

OP
OP
PurpleMonsterSlayer

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stayed up late last night and painted the back glass and tonight I installed the synergy reef shadow overflow, random flow generator returns and started to mock up the plumbing to figure out where everything was going to go
A1C4E8FF-8172-4876-978C-45F274C22BB2.jpeg
2E11E503-C6F4-4427-96C5-37A91639F52F.jpeg
E5073663-36FD-4871-B607-700C8DC1300D.jpeg

OP
OP
PurpleMonsterSlayer

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had water in the tank for almost a week. I’ve started cycling, fine tuned the over flow to be silent and come up with a plan to mount the lights.
As far as the cycling of the tank ammonia is now zero and no2 has been stuck on 5 ppm and no3 is at 20 ppm.
The original plan for the lights were change do to the tank changing. I was planning on using two Radion mounting arms with the RMS track but do to the 3/4” glass thickness I changed my overflow to the reef synergy 16 shadow overflow which was to long to mount to one side so there goes that idea. Next I came up with the idea to hang the lights from the ceiling so I’m working on building a rack to mount the lights but I have the wire bolted to the ceiling already

9DA155CD-B094-4380-B8DF-009D1817DE7A.jpeg E7676D78-66BA-47DE-B292-908FEB3C083B.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back