To Reef or not to Reef, that is the question

Should my next tank be a FOWLR or a reef?

• Reef

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • FOWLR

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I'm moving in July, and we all know what that means. New tank time! I'm thinking something between 120 and 180 gallons should be enough. I'm probably going with either a CADE or an SCA aquarium, but that isn't settled yet. What I've been questioning is whether or not it should be a reef. Coral is great, but angelfish might be better. So what do you think? Would you rather have a mixed reef or a FOWLR with a regal angelfish as the focal point? Please let me know, and thank you for your contributions!

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever floats your boat. I would have fish regardless, but I am drawn to natural environments in the tank. So reef for me, and when I do freshwater, it's always planted also.

I think even if I didn't go crazy on coral and wanted to focus on fish, I'd put a bunch of softies, trash polys, etc.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would throw in some xenia and toadstools just to see how they do. I am completely on the fence about this. Coral and anemones (hence my tag) are amazing, but FOWLRs are cheaper and so many fish just aren't reef safe.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would throw in some xenia and toadstools just to see how they do. I am completely on the fence about this. Coral and anemones (hence my tag) are amazing, but FOWLRs are cheaper and so many fish just aren't reef safe.

I'm going to be doing a softie tank pretty soon, but it'll only be my 29g.

I had a 25g AIO that I upgraded into my current 180g, so it's empty. And then my 29g tank is currently a anemone tank with a pair of clownish.

So I took out the back of the 25g and drilled it for an overflow box etc. I'm putting my anemone and clownfish in there and I'm hoping the dual return pumps will be enough flow in the tank, and I won't have to add powerheads.

That'll leave my 29g open, so I'm just going to put softies and stuff in them. xenias, leathers, etc. Maybe some gsp. Not sure on fish yet.

Anyway, I think softie tanks are pretty awesome. All the flow/movement is extremely pleasing to me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back