To sell or to move my tank?

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m moving up north to the Portland areas down from LA. It’s about a 14 hour drive or 800 or so miles. My job isn’t providing a relocation allowance or hiring movers so I’ll have to move. Had my tank since about Jan of this year so it’s been up for about 6 months. I don’t have a ton of corals and only a hand full of fish, small yellow tang, small blue mandarin, yellow banded possum wrasse, 2 cardinal, and a pair of clowns. I’d like to keep the fish and most of the corals(they’re all still frag sizes) and just get rid of the tank and then buy a bigger tank when I get there. Do you have any experience selling a used tank? Is it even worth it to try and sell? How should I relocate the fish and the corals? I have tubed fan worms on my rock work and they’re cool but I’m personally not a big fan, i feel like it makes the rock work look ugly. Should I get rid of my rock work or keep some to help establish the tank when I move?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to drive them up on the same day? They ship overnight in a bag and typically do fine when they are ordered for an lfs. Rocks can be transported wrapped up in plastic bags or such to stay wet.

You can sell the tank cheap on fb marketplace or local reef groups on facebook. You could try on here as well. I personally like people to keep old tanks to reuse as QT if its not a hassle. If you really don't like the tube worms then you could maybe try and soak the rocks in prazipro (I think that killed the little tube worms when I had them and dosed prazi) or just get new rocks. Established rocks are a valuable thing.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For selling use R2R and http://www.socalireefs.com/index.php for the right price it will go fast.

I live in the area, (SoCal) if it were me. I would just take it with me. The way to Portland is straight, and good roads all the way up. I would wake up at 3am and drive it all in one shot, of course with whatever els I want to bring with me. It may not be fun, but it definitely can be done. I hate moving… so to me it’s never fun.

I am thinking your tank is small because your already talking about getting a larger one, and your tank is only 6 months long old.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything under 75, I would probably sell here and transport everything up in a double stacked Rubbermaid tub with heater, and a strong air pump that will aerate as well as create water movement.

Realistically your fish and frags and rock can stay in there for a week or two if needed.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will rarely if ever be cost effective to sell a tank and buy new. On the other hand, if you want to use the move as an excuse to upgrade, I would think being in LA area you could het a quick buyer if money is not the goal, just convenience.

If you do sell, I would consider either having the tank up at the new place already OR plan on housing the fish coral in temporary tubs while you build the definitive tank. Of course temporary tubs cost $$$ too.

I feel your pain though. I’m getting ready to move my 210 and it is just… such an unappealing thought.

TLDR it’s tough to imagine any scenario, aside from moving a very large tank or upgrading, where selling the tank locally only to buy at the destination right away makes sense.

Good luck

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how large of tank?
For selling use R2R and http://www.socalireefs.com/index.php for the right price it will go fast.

I live in the area, (SoCal) if it were me. I would just take it with me. The way to Portland is straight, and good roads all the way up. I would wake up at 3am and drive it all in one shot, of course with whatever els I want to bring with me. It may not be fun, but it definitely can be done. I hate moving… so to me it’s never fun.

I am thinking your tank is small because your already talking about getting a larger one, and your tank is only 6 months long old.
Tank is a reefer 300 xl. 65 gallon display with 15 gallon sump. Moving is awful. I’m not getting a relocation allowance and I drive a 3 series so not big enough for a tank lol. I’ll have to get a uhaul to transport it. I wanted to sell all my furniture and start from scratch since renting a uhaul and driving would be a pain. I also considered saving the tank and upgrading later on, the whole tearing it apart to rebuild is a major struggle though.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a reefer 300 xl. 65 gallon display with 15 gallon sump. Moving is awful. I’m not getting a relocation allowance and I drive a 3 series so not big enough for a tank lol. I’ll have to get a uhaul to transport it. I wanted to sell all my furniture and start from scratch since renting a uhaul and driving would be a pain. I also considered saving the tank and upgrading later on, the whole tearing it apart to rebuild is a major struggle though.
I moved a few years ago, twice within a few months. I wish I had the money to buy all new. But the savings of using 1800packrat, and having them move all my stuff, was too good of a deal to pass up. I mean a new couch is $2000 lol, not buying that alone paid for most my move.

Was nice, they drop off some bins, you load your stuff in them, you find a place, they drop off your bins to your doorstep.

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I moved a few years ago, twice within a few months. I wish I had the money to buy all new. But the savings of using 1800packrat, and having them move all my stuff, was too good of a deal to pass up. I mean a new couch is $2000 lol, not buying that alone paid for most my move.

Was nice, they drop off some bins, you load your stuff in them, you find a place, they drop off your bins to your doorstep.
I was looking at one of those services. I’d almost rather rent a uhaul so I could get the tank their faster and have a bit more control over it. Yeah furniture shopping is the worst. When I moved into this place in oct I had to buy some new stuff snd it took months before I had a fully furnished apt and it’s not even good stuff. It’s like “cheap” Wayfair stuff that still costs hundreds for compressed wood that distorts with the smallest bit of water

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at one of those services. I’d almost rather rent a uhaul so I could get the tank their faster and have a bit more control over it. Yeah furniture shopping is the worst. When I moved into this place in oct I had to buy some new stuff snd it took months before I had a fully furnished apt and it’s not even good stuff. It’s like “cheap” Wayfair stuff that still costs hundreds for compressed wood that distorts with the smallest bit of water
Yea I will never U haul again… pods is where it is at. The drop it off and you load everything in one shot. You can even ask them to drop it off a month later to your new place because your in between homes. It’s like a storage unit.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m moving up north to the Portland areas down from LA. It’s about a 14 hour drive or 800 or so miles. My job isn’t providing a relocation allowance or hiring movers so I’ll have to move. Had my tank since about Jan of this year so it’s been up for about 6 months. I don’t have a ton of corals and only a hand full of fish, small yellow tang, small blue mandarin, yellow banded possum wrasse, 2 cardinal, and a pair of clowns. I’d like to keep the fish and most of the corals(they’re all still frag sizes) and just get rid of the tank and then buy a bigger tank when I get there. Do you have any experience selling a used tank? Is it even worth it to try and sell? How should I relocate the fish and the corals? I have tubed fan worms on my rock work and they’re cool but I’m personally not a big fan, i feel like it makes the rock work look ugly. Should I get rid of my rock work or keep some to help establish the tank when I move?
You can move the tank... How big is the tank?

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have even a shadow of doubt regarding a new dream tank I would sell it and not bother with the hassle and few months after you're done setting it back up.

Save the cash and build what you have always wanted with that money.. and more of course.

You're not giving up you're simply on hiatus as you get your new gear. Do save a couple nice chunks of rock and sand if you do sell.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back