To shut down tank or not to shut down tank?

Mareshow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my 750 gallon tank running for a year. We are really enjoying it and but life is changing for us. We’re planning on building our forever home in a couple years. That said I would not do a 750 I would rather sit around 400 gallons. So my questions is, it would relatively easy to do a tank shut down now and liquidate everything or try to transfer later. I have a tank at my office where I could put my favourite frags and use up additives and such. Or do I keep the tank running and try to move larger colonies down the road? It’s the same amount of work either way but I’m thinking it’s less risk to sell and start over vs try to transfer a massive tank.

thoughts?

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a tough one because stuff might not
Sell as fast as you need it to....I have dry rock now for 3 years and other equipment I can't get rid of

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have people close to you with reef tanks, give them frags of your corals. I would also run separate system of the frags as well. Moving large colonies is very difficult. They are easy to break and go into shock and die easily if we are talking SPS. Giving frags to friends allows you to have a free frag of your favorite corals in the future if needed. Basically don't put all of your eggs in one basket.
Selling now would allow you to part out the tank and get the best deals possible or you could try to sell in one big package. Just bank your corals in other tanks. I would tear down now and sale.

OP
OP
M

Mareshow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! I've decided to shut it down and move my favourite corals to my office 60 gal cube (that filled it fast lol) I don't have anyone close so this made more sense for now.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! I've decided to shut it down and move my favourite corals to my office 60 gal cube (that filled it fast lol) I don't have anyone close so this made more sense for now.

if it a cpl years down the road why not enjoy the tank but make it FW maybe dicus or planted. IDK I think you would get a few more years of enjoyment out of it.

I know FW not a cool as SW but still can be quite beautiful.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back