To skim or not to skim

Mcpsu318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
My Husband and I just upgraded from a 35gal nano hex tank to a 75 gal long. We are currently running 2 canister filters simultaneously both with UV lights as we do not have a sump set up. It's a mixed tank with 2 clownies, a rock blennie, diamond goby, bicolor dwarf angel, 5 chromis and a new powder blue tang. Various snails and crabs. I also dose with copepods every couple months.

The nano tank was up and running about 8 months but the 75gal has only been up and running a few days. We reused the same rocks, sand, water and just topped off the tank

Pur Parameters stay pretty stable at:
Salinity 1.025
Alk 8-8.2
Ca 450
Nitrite ammonia 0-0.5
Nitrate 1
Phosphates 0.5-1
Temp 78

I was doing weekly 10% water changes on the nano tank but I'm wondering if I should get an HOB protein skimmers for the 75 gal tank.

I dont think I'm a heavy feeder but....

Thoughts?

16254616203859212881636259765267.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is just another tool to export nutrients (although it does have a couple other benefits)....at this time you don't appear to have a nutrient issue so no, a skimmer is probably not needed at this point.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time .. I don’t see the need for a skimmer , but in addition to being a extra tool to export nutrient.
it also adds oxygenation

seeing as everything was stable in the nano . Double the volume could prove to be a lot different .

the pbt might cause a few issues later

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no interest in keeping corals, then i agree with the above, skimmer is not required. If you ever want corals, then you need to keep parameters in close check and a skimmer is very helpful then. But like the others above have mentioned a skimmer also provides excellent oxygination (bad spelling) to your tank

OP
OP
M

Mcpsu318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no interest in keeping corals, then i agree with the above, skimmer is not required. If you ever want corals, then you need to keep parameters in close check and a skimmer is very helpful then. But like the others above have mentioned a skimmer also provides excellent oxygination (bad spelling) to your tank
Hey Lord, yes we do have corals already. It's a mixed tank with sps, LPS and softies. I had these in the nano and kept a very close eye on the parameters. But we do manual water changes and I'm trying to simplify my maintenance with this size tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back