To Triton or not to Triton...

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i should expand my answer... if you want to eventually get into the SPS game...which is essentially the coccaine of the reef hobby... i would skip over the 75G and look for a bigger tank. A 120 gallon has almost the same footprint it is just a bit wider. The extra width really helps with aquascaping and for an extra 6" of tank width you get 45 more gallons of water.

Your water volume is simply a buffer from change. Hard corals do not like change. They will demonstrate this by converting your cash into bleacehd desk ornaments.

I hate to say it, but there really is no one set way to be successful, other than diligent testing and understanding the chemistry of a reef tank. I have a successful 300 gallon tank and i have done triton testing on it. I do not however have a whole array of additives that i dose depending on my test results.
I do add some things based on my triton tests, like iron, but I used the test as a tool to fuether understand the chemistry of my tank. In my case, i run a lot of chaeto so my tank goes through a lot of iron.

The notion that you would send samples away and then be told exactly what to do with your tank is a little...attractive shall we say, but not a complete picture.

The best advice i can give is to google common reef elements (nitrate, calcium, alkalinity, etc) and then type randy holmes farley after it in your search bar. You will get the REAL scoop on these elements, how they work, and how important they are. People spend hours determing "which is the best pump" or "which light for my 75 gallon" while these things do nothing to address water chemistry which is unequivocally the most inportant factor in a successful tank.

I am sure that SOMEONE would say... no its the lights!!! .. but we are on the internet which is a dumpster fire of knowledge. There are still those that think we didnt land on the moon, Obama ran for president even though he wasn't born here, immunization shots cause autism, and the earth is flat.

(The earth is flat BTW.. the oceans dont spill off the flat earth because the polar caps are huge ice walls).

Hope this helps, and above all else, enjoy yourself and the community here!

OP
OP
Jon Mooney

Jon Mooney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks everyone :) I really appreciate all the kind greetings and advice/suggestions. And I love how so many people say “With a tank that small...” LOL To me 75 gallons isn’t small. It’s larger than both my other tanks combined. But I guess constant upgrading is part and parcel of this hobby. Again, thanks so much for the warm welcome. See ya in the forums :)

Emarley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

E771D377-56E3-4B5A-983B-5B2DB22619EE.jpeg

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how so many people say “With a tank that small...” LOL To me 75 gallons isn’t small. It’s larger than both my other tanks combined.

You will be in the monster tank build forum in no time.

The struggle is real. (I just bought 3k worth of acrylic for a 600g tank)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my names Jon and I’m a rookie reefer. I got into the hobby about 6 months ago and now I’m HOOKED ;) I’m currently running 2 nanos. A fish only 35 gal bio-cube that I bought fully mature and ready to go (my first tank) and a 30 gal softy/LPS reef tank that I started from scratch a few months later. Both are doing fine so far. I’m looking to step up to a 75 gal LPS (potentially SPS) tank and I’m wondering if I should start out using the Triton Method. Does anyone have experience with Triton, and if so, is it something a newbie can manage effectively?
No experience with triton but i've used ATI essentials for over a year and have been pretty happy with it. Zero water changes so far.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my names Jon and I’m a rookie reefer. I got into the hobby about 6 months ago and now I’m HOOKED ;) I’m currently running 2 nanos. A fish only 35 gal bio-cube that I bought fully mature and ready to go (my first tank) and a 30 gal softy/LPS reef tank that I started from scratch a few months later. Both are doing fine so far. I’m looking to step up to a 75 gal LPS (potentially SPS) tank and I’m wondering if I should start out using the Triton Method. Does anyone have experience with Triton, and if so, is it something a newbie can manage effectively?
Welcome to R2R!

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks everyone :) I really appreciate all the kind greetings and advice/suggestions. And I love how so many people say “With a tank that small...” LOL To me 75 gallons isn’t small. It’s larger than both my other tanks combined. But I guess constant upgrading is part and parcel of this hobby. Again, thanks so much for the warm welcome. See ya in the forums :)
There's some really good information on Triton in Reef2Reef. Speaking for myself, a Triton user, I can say that I enjoy the methodology and ease of Triton.

That's not to say I had zero issues converting to Triton from a 2-part methodology. It took some time for my refugium to really take off, and I had to do a lot of testing (my own, not Triton) to keep an eye on my parameters until I understood how my tank functioned on the Triton system. This was key to understand how much to dose (which will increase overtime with growth).

During that time, I was plagued with nuisance algae (I started with regular Triton), likely (in my opinion) from the added "algae fuel", but not enough "good" algae to uptake it. After that, I (stupidly) allowed nitrates to drop to 0 and received a Dino issue as the result. This forum helped me with this, too (thank you, everyone)!

After some adjustments to the refugium lighting schedule to keep nitrates/phosphates at an acceptable level (along with some initial dosing of phosphates, nitrates, and silica), everything is looking good. I pull out a large amount of good algae every week, my corals look happy, and my pod population is stellar.

After the "conversion process", I am left with a tank that is fairly easy to manage and my time is usually spent enjoying it.
***You'll want a good dosing pump to deliver the additives throughout the day - it is not mandatory, but sure makes life a lot easier to not have to dose it by hand***

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if your going to do Triton, I would start out going that way from the beginning. Certain choices, especially the refugium size, and flow rates will effect your success. The triton Core7 additives have supplements that help keep the algae going on the refugium, so if it’s too small, you may fight algae in other places. Also if you want to hit the 10x turnover to the sump, you’ll need an overflow that can handle that without sounding like a waterfall. The flow makes sure any dosing gets distributed quickly thru the tank, and without mechanical filtration, the flow will keep things from settling... the idea is to keep nutrients in the water column rather than the floor of your sump.

As for choosing Triton or not, I think it depends a lot on personality actually. If you just want to set something up, and do some easy corals, maybe test once and a while, then it’s probably overkill. If on the other hand you are more the type to be details oriented, and you geek out over reef chemistry, then Triton can be a rewarding method.

All that said, keeping a really nice reef tank with challenging corals can be done with lots of different method... Calcium reactors, or DIY 2 part dosing like Randy Holmes-Farley’s can get you amazing results. I think the common thread among successful tanks is not so much the method, rather starting with a good biodiversity from good quality live rock...and then patience, observation skills, and not overreacting to things.

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton is great. If I was you. Just plan on having 1 year amount on hand. At 8 Months start ordering another years amount. You'll be good. Great product

Last edited:

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton is great. If I was you. Just plan on having years amount on hand. At 8 Months start ordering another years amount. You'll be good. Great product
Agreed. I buy the bulk powder. Ships well, saves money, almost always in stock.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if your going to do Triton, I would start out going that way from the beginning. Certain choices, especially the refugium size, and flow rates will effect your success. The triton Core7 additives have supplements that help keep the algae going on the refugium, so if it’s too small, you may fight algae in other places. Also if you want to hit the 10x turnover to the sump, you’ll need an overflow that can handle that without sounding like a waterfall. The flow makes sure any dosing gets distributed quickly thru the tank, and without mechanical filtration, the flow will keep things from settling... the idea is to keep nutrients in the water column rather than the floor of your sump.

As for choosing Triton or not, I think it depends a lot on personality actually. If you just want to set something up, and do some easy corals, maybe test once and a while, then it’s probably overkill. If on the other hand you are more the type to be details oriented, and you geek out over reef chemistry, then Triton can be a rewarding method.

All that said, keeping a really nice reef tank with challenging corals can be done with lots of different method... Calcium reactors, or DIY 2 part dosing like Randy Holmes-Farley’s can get you amazing results. I think the common thread among successful tanks is not so much the method, rather starting with a good biodiversity from good quality live rock...and then patience, observation skills, and not overreacting to things.

This is good advise ^^^

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run triton but on a Larger system.

1572706361888.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back