To use or not to use: UV Sterilizer

Do you use UV sterilizer?

• Yes, everyday

• No, never

• Only when specific scenarios come up (please advise what scenarios)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blake423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Due to the recent outbreak of ich on my tang, I am seriously considering using UV sterilizer.
This is a very controversy discussion. I saw many good arguments around about using UV sterilizers or not.
How many people actually use it?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not going to miraculously solve disease issues, but they are quite helpful towards algae. I used to swear by them, but now between quarantining fish and AWC, I don’t bother with them anymore

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having only had my tank 1 month and reading much I come across UV sterilisers.
My question is is it better to run UV and minimise the chance of Ich or rely on chemicals should ICH breakout?
Does UV kill off the good bacteria as well.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having only had my tank 1 month and reading much I come across UV sterilisers.
My question is is it better to run UV and minimise the chance of Ich or rely on chemicals should ICH breakout?
Does UV kill off the good bacteria as well.
I think your good bacteria (stuff supporting cycle) is attached to rock & surfaces, not free floating in water. :eek:

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Due to the recent outbreak of ich on my tang, I am seriously considering using UV sterilizer.
This is a very controversy discussion. I saw many good arguments around about using UV sterilizers or not.
How many people actually use it?
IMO. Do not waste your money as a UVS, as it will help reduce ich that is in the water column and that passes thru the uvs. PLUS their is a catch to that. It will depend on how the uvs system is setup. IMO uvs cure nothing, but can help depending on proper set up. one type setup does NOT fit all issues. I recommend you go to bulk reef supply videos om the subject. Good luck

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, small rant here...

I do not understand the lack of understanding with UV. Find me someone that properly runs UV that ever said "Gosh, I sure wish that I did not set up that UV on my tank". Trying to use UV after you have an issue, like Ich, in the tank and expecting a miracle cure will certainly tant your feelings toward UV. That is not because UV is some kind of snake oil. Business and industries all over the world (like drinking water processing, food processing, pharmaceutical, agriculture, wastewater treatment, etc) that rely on these products to ensure their bottom line and to keep you safe every day do not spend money on UV systems because they do not work. UV has nothing to do with "IMO", it is science. When properly implemented and properly used UV works as advertised. No opinions required. The earth is not flat.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, small rant here...

I do not understand the lack of understanding with UV. Find me someone that properly runs UV that ever said "Gosh, I sure wish that I did not set up that UV on my tank". Trying to use UV after you have an issue, like Ich, in the tank and expecting a miracle cure will certainly tant your feelings toward UV. That is not because UV is some kind of snake oil. Business and industries all over the world (like drinking water processing, food processing, pharmaceutical, agriculture, wastewater treatment, etc) that rely on these products to ensure their bottom line and to keep you safe every day do not spend money on UV systems because they do not work. UV has nothing to do with "IMO", it is science. When properly implemented and properly used UV works as advertised. No opinions required. The earth is not flat.
In ye olden times UV sterilizer were in use throughout barbers, hospitals, dentists and every medical center before single use equipment came to exist.

Garia666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought an uv due to an algae and bacteria bloom on my startup.
and it worked wonders with in just 5 days. sadly the unit is to big to fit in my cabinet so i only use it once in a while.
So sadly no sterilisation of ich in the water column but great against algae.

There is a flow difference for bacteria and ich though.

EAE7C70F-0CB2-4199-9699-30FB8575CE5C.jpeg
7A2B68CF-3F8D-488F-B0A5-153957982B7C.jpeg
05694A9C-8195-47E4-B465-0AD18AC9BEDC.jpeg
59184936-01A9-4D0E-B725-2C50A3249F1B.jpeg

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not run a tank with Tang without UV. Other than dosing bacteria which I do often too, UV and skimmer will be offline for 4-6 hours. If not, its pretty much on 24/7 @ Parasite killing flow rate.

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 72w UV and ozone havent seen ich for years. I do think it keeps bacteria reproduction in check causing some of my higher nitrates (30 range) so might be good idea to not have it on 24/7

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 72w UV and ozone havent seen ich for years. I do think it keeps bacteria reproduction in check causing some of my higher nitrates (30 range) so might be good idea to not have it on 24/7
What’s your ORP readings…if you have one? Cheers!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not want to run one unless I kept fish that were unusually sensitive to infection (perhaps seahorses).

IMO, one of the benefits of organic carbon dosing is the production of bacteria in the water that boosts the growth of filter feeders. I would not prefer to spur their growth just to see them die in a UV.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Uv helps with ich , I’d hate to see my clowns or tangs covered in white spots. Ever since the Aqua UV they haven’t appeared

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back