To wrasse or not to wrasse? That is the question I am wrassling with.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my IM 40L AIO is getting wet this week, I'm dreaming up my full stocking list.

Since my original plan was met with some skepticism, I've had to change things up. For reference:
1679988899383.png

Current stocking plan is (10g and 13.5g getting transferred to 40L):
Tailspot blenny (in my 10g)
Exquisite firefish (in my 10g)
2x occelaris clowns (in my 13.5g)
2 banggai cardinals
1 yasha or YWG or maybe wheeler shimp goby
1 midas blenny
1 Randall's pistol shrimp (13.5g)
1 Skunk cleaner shimp
2 Sexy shrimp (10g)
1 spotted anemone crab (10g)
1 green porcelain crab (10g)
1 blue porcelain crab
1 pitho crab
2-3 emerald crabs
1 tuxedo urchin (13.5g)
2 turbos (13.5g)
2 money cowries (10g & 13.5g)
2... lots of other snails, just lots (10g & 13.5g)
Lots of worms including fans worms, spaghetti/hair worms, peanut worms (NO bristles and leaving eunice worms behind)
Mixed reef: zoas/shrooms/nepthea/gsp/meaty LPS/torches/hammer/octo/blastos/acans/alve/candycane/favia/dendro/gorgs/stylo/birdsnest/monti cap/monti digi/pavona/cyphastrea/Botrycladia/Halimeda/Gracilaria/Codium/BTAs/RFAs/MaxiMinis...

I keep coming back to the idea of a wrasse to add some color and activity to the tank.

Three concerns:
(1) Will a wrasse kill my nice worms, snails, and shrimp? Porcelains?
(2) Will a wrasse pick on corals?
(3) Will a wrasse bully the other fish?

Should I? Shouldn't I?

Some wrasses that might interest me:
1. Carpenter wrasse
2. Multicolor Lubbock's fairy wrasse
3. McKosker's wrasse
4. Scott's fairy wrasse
5. Yellow banded possum wrasse
6. Leopards??

Other interesting ones, but they get pricey. Lots of wrasse-lovers out there. What say you?
Sorry that pic just made me laugh. I'd go wirh a possum wrasse and a lubbocks with your current stock.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that pic just made me laugh. I'd go wirh a possum wrasse and a lubbocks with your current stock.
Haha, I love the tang police. Would absolutely love to have a tank with tangs, but will have to wait till a future tank 120+ or so!

For now, stocking plan has been evolving a bunch after reading further about all sorts of wrasses, gobies and other fish appropriate for a 3' tank.

First, flashers out. Most fairies out. May go with a Lunatus complex, Lubbocki complex or smaller Rubiventralis complex fairy (specifically, C. rubeus). Wetmorella isn't out of the running, neither is a pink streak. H. iridis would be awesome, but I feel that is really pushing it. Blue star leopard is in the running, female small --> may force an upgrade in a couple years
:smiling-face-with-halo:

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a Leopard, get a Black Leopard if you can.
My Baby Leopard. She was abused by her tank mate at the LFS. doing great and healing in my QT.

Baby Black Leopard 1 inch
blackleopardwrasse2023050902-jpg.3150029

Female
blackleopardwrasse2019041801-jpg.2910404

Male
blackleopardwrasse2020051601-jpg.2910406

Nuptial Male
blackleopardwrasse2020032202-jpg.2910405
Black leopard vs. blue star, any differences in requirements (3' x 15" x 12" space) and personality?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue star most of the time is an aggressive fish. It can be hard to form a harem. There are many accounts of Reefers who have their resident Blue Star terrorizing other wrasses and kill new introduce juveniles and females leopards.
Black Leopard are much nicer fish and more beautiful IMO.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoJosReef
That tank is likely too small for a Leopard.
That has been my feeling. But it is confusing why sites say blue star leopard tank size 45-50gal and black leopard 90gal. May have to wait until the next upgrade for a leopard.

For a wrasse, I've been considering smaller fairies from Lunatus complex like a splendid pintail (which might do well in my peaceful tank), Lubbocki complex like a Marjorie or the smallest of the Rubiventralis like a C. rubeus. If none of those would work in my tank, then I am considering a pink streak and/or possum as well.

H. iridis is another one that I like, but again, will likely have to wait for the next tank upgrade.

What would you put in my tank if it was yours?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Leopard is the smallest of the Leopards and seem to me very docile. I had about 5 in the last 40 years. Mainly because they are difficult to come by healthy. IME they are marginally OK I. A 40 gal tank.
IME I also think the Lubbock wrasse and wrasses of they Claude can do well I. A 40 gal tank.
I keep reef tanks of various size from 20 gal to 420 gallons. I always have the option of putting fish into my 420 if needed. I am more adventurous in pushing size and agressive fish

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Leopard is the smallest of the Leopards and seem to me very docile. I had about 5 in the last 40 years. Mainly because they are difficult to come by healthy. IME they are marginally OK I. A 40 gal tank.
IME I also think the Lubbock wrasse and wrasses of they Claude can do well I. A 40 gal tank.
I keep reef tanks of various size from 20 gal to 420 gallons. I always have the option of putting fish into my 420 if needed. I am more adventurous in pushing size and agressive fish
Thanks! I would like to try a leopard, given that I set up the whole automated liquid feeding system for them. I will likely hold off on the fairies for now though and if room for more go with a pair of pink streaks until I upgrade again.

Was there a typo here?
wrasses of they Claude can do well

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you know why several pages of leopard wrasses recommend 40-50gal tank sizes for the blue star leopards and 75 to 90 gallons for the black leopards? Particularly if the black leopards are smaller? Maybe more active swimmers?
@Slocke @i cant think Any ideas as well?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you know why several pages of leopard wrasses recommend 40-50gal tank sizes for the blue star leopards and 75 to 90 gallons for the black leopards? Particularly if the black leopards are smaller? Maybe more active swimmers?
@Slocke @i cant think Any ideas as well?
My tank is a bit larger than yours at 60 gallons, but I’m one to try pushing the limits a bit. Right now I’ve got a 3 inch female Melanurus, 1.5 inch juvenile Black Leopard and a 3.25 inch Velvet wrasse. Working fine, but ive also got lots of rockwork to break up things. If your Black Leopard is the only one, it might be fine, plus it’ll have a fair amount of “leg room” for swimming.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a bit larger than yours at 60 gallons, but I’m one to try pushing the limits a bit. Right now I’ve got a 3 inch female Melanurus, 1.5 inch juvenile Black Leopard and a 3.25 inch Velvet wrasse. Working fine, but ive also got lots of rockwork to break up things. If your Black Leopard is the only one, it might be fine, plus it’ll have a fair amount of “leg room” for swimming.
The leopard, be it negrensis or bipartitis, will be the only active swimmer in the tank. Once the clowns move over they will pick a return nozzle and just wobble back and forth in their spot until food time. Blenny hangs on the rocks. Firefish in his cave. The yasha that will be ordered with the leopard will hopefully pair with the pistol and hang out at their cave. So hoping it works!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leopard, be it negrensis or bipartitis, will be the only active swimmer in the tank. Once the clowns move over they will pick a return nozzle and just wobble back and forth in their spot until food time. Blenny hangs on the rocks. Firefish in his cave. The yasha that will be ordered with the leopard will hopefully pair with the pistol and hang out at their cave. So hoping it works!
Yeah clowns will ignore everything pretty much . And my blenny does the same. should be fine.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I would like to try a leopard, given that I set up the whole automated liquid feeding system for them. I will likely hold off on the fairies for now though and if room for more go with a pair of pink streaks until I upgrade again.

Was there a typo here?
Sorry, I was traveling and using my phone. The spell correction and the tiny keyboard did me in.

"IME I also think Lubbock wrasse and wrasses of the same clade can do well in a 40 gal tank."

You may want to read some good information on Fairy Wrasses in the link below by Evoled-The Wrasse Guy.
Evolved was an active member here until a non-reef related issue cause him to take his toys and go home. He has some great reading on wrasses. Was really good at ID wrasses also.

Evoled-The Wrasse guy opinions on Mixing and requirements of Fairy Wrasse

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a beautiful fish. Since my tank is only 3', I think I will be sticking with a yellow banded possum or maybe pink streak. Will have to wait for the 5' upgrade!
I added a pink streak about three weeks ago. My tank is a 20 gallon AIO. Contrary to what I've heard, he's very social (although timid at the same time) and is always swimming between my two clowns. I'm relieved there's zero aggression right now because I heard they don't fare well when there is. The only other fish I have is a yellow watchman goby.

I also considered the possum wrasse but got nervous about feeding it. My pink streak is an easy eater but I heard they burn food quickly. Feeding several times a day would work for one.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many seem to get excited about the Melanurus Wrasse on here it seems, but I love mine! Picked him up instead of a Sixline. Very active in the tank, doesn't bother any tank mates or corals, and I feel like he keeps my bristle worm population under control.. 55 gal long (4'), 8 other fish in there (clowns, gramma, cardinals, lawnmower, YWG) and a buncha frags.
You are the first person I seen mention the Melanurus! Funny about switching from a six line, cuz I was dead set on a six line being my final addition, until I came across the Melanurus. Now of course, I am dead set on that! I can't wait to get one.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the first person I seen mention the Melanurus! Funny about switching from a six line, cuz I was dead set on a six line being my final addition, until I came across the Melanurus. Now of course, I am dead set on that! I can't wait to get one.
I ended up going with the yellow wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) and a blue star leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitis). I think it I had a 4 foot tank, I'd have gone with a melanurus or maybe both a chrysus and a melanurus. They seem to do fine in a lot of peoples' tanks. @i cant think @Slocke @Crabby48 @SaltyT @Tcook can probably give you more insight on the risks of a melanurus.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back