To Zoa or Not to Zoa, that is the questions

Starling541

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the variety of colors of Zoas, but the wife has put a hard stop on bringing ANY livestock that has a toxin in them into the house.
I’ve tried to make a reasonable case that with care and protection, “toxic” livestock are no-more dangerous than the DrainO under the sink.
All efforts have been squashed thus far and a non-negotiable. I’ve searched “non-toxic Zoas……” but all efforts to find an actual list has been met with the “treat all Zoa’s as if they are toxic” rationale response, but still don’t answer the question. Are non-toxic zoas an impossible find like a Siberian Unicorn? There has to be list out there somewhere if there are such creatures!

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paly’s tend to have palytoxin hence the name. But most paly are actually classified under the name Zoanthid. With some occasionally actually being named “paly”. There’s no way to tell if the coral itself actually has it. Palytoxin as an extreme stress response. Only advice I can give is to wear gloves, mask, glasses, when handling them. That includes dipping, fragging, etc. But palytoxin only presents issues when it’s in the air. Meaning any palytoxin expelled in the tank will not affect you or your other company in your home. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Starling541

Starling541

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paly’s tend to have palytoxin hence the name. But most paly are actually classified under the name Zoanthid. With some occasionally actually being named “paly”. There’s no way to tell if the coral itself actually has it. Palytoxin as an extreme stress response. Only advice I can give is to wear gloves, mask, glasses, when handling them. That includes dipping, fragging, etc. But palytoxin only presents issues when it’s in the air. Meaning any palytoxin expelled in the tank will not affect you or your other company in your home. Hope this helps!
Well not the answer I was hoping for because of the “non-negotiable” line in the substrate sand the spouse has drawn.
BUT I will say this “no way in knowing” was the clearest and most concise answer I’ve found on this topic.

On the upside I guess I need not worry about my bride putting to use years of crime drama watching and trying to knock-me off with an assault coral.

#HappyReefingEveryone

Upvote 0

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don’t believe you’ll find a list in existence but @LiLinka hit all the main points.

Most zoanthids (larger polyped ones included) pose no risk to you or anyone in your home in the daily course of life. It’s worth nothing that fast-growing large-polyped varieties, often misidentified as palys, can become a nuisance and require some care of being removed. That’s about it.

I’ve cut 10’s of thousands of zoas bare handed over the years with only eye protection. Never had any issues (I’m also not terribly sensitive to stuff, some people are). If you’re just growing and keeping a garden you’ve nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the variety of colors of Zoas, but the wife has put a hard stop on bringing ANY livestock that has a toxin in them into the house.
Lol, in that case don't let her ever find out that the zooxanthella in corals, primarily dinoflagelates, are highly toxic. And a lot of corals can sting you if they touch a sensitive part of your skin. And don't let me even start about the multiresistant pathogens that are swimming around in our saltwater tanks.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back