Toadstoll leather fragging; healing and attachment advice plz

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I recently decided to frag my toadstool leather after reading and watching few videos.
IMG_20210505_132200.jpg

I tried to super glue them most and rubber banded 2-3 out of the 9 frags at start. I used a new blade to frag it and used the fragging and after making sure to rinse both mother colony and frags in orginal tank water fw mins only put them back inside(due to possible toxin release).

Fastward 5 days after fragging;
My mother colonys polyps are still not coming out :( . Its stem seems to come up but not a single polyp ever came out.
IMG_20210601_105729.jpg

Most of my super glued peices detached them selfs and I rubber banded them. Their polyps started to come out almost immediately after puting back inside the main tank.

IMG_20210601_105735.jpg

How long does it take for the frags to atatch themselfs to the frag plugs and rubble, so I can remove the rubber bands?
Any idea what to do with my mother colony ?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I recently decided to frag my toadstool leather after reading and watching few videos.
IMG_20210505_132200.jpg

I tried to super glue them most and rubber banded 2-3 out of the 9 frags at start. I used a new blade to frag it and used the fragging and after making sure to rinse both mother colony and frags in orginal tank water fw mins only put them back inside(due to possible toxin release).

Fastward 5 days after fragging;
My mother colonys polyps are still not coming out :( . Its stem seems to come up but not a single polyp ever came out.
IMG_20210601_105729.jpg

Most of my super glued peices detached them selfs and I rubber banded them. Their polyps started to come out almost immediately after puting back inside the main tank.

IMG_20210601_105735.jpg

How long does it take for the frags to atatch themselfs to the frag plugs and rubble, so I can remove the rubber bands?
Any idea what to do with my mother colony ?

Not sure with a toad but I'm about to find out as I bought a rescue on Sunday, I'm going to drop mine into a rubble basket and leave them to it, the damage done to mine was an elastic band too tight which basically cut it in half!
There was a lot of damage done to the mother so I would just give it time.
Great pe on the frags. :)

DSC_0033 (1024x696).jpg

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sew mine with a needle and thread to live rock, or a piece of netting wrapped around the frag and rock using a rubber band to hold the netting right to the rock, or sandwich frag between two pieces or rubble and his with rubber band.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can take 2-3 weeks or more to fully attach. I put them in a cup with some sand and cover it with netting so they can’t get out. And then once they attach to some sand you can then superglue them to a frag plug/rubble (the sand will stay glued to the plug). You can also rubber and them to a plug/rubble, you just have to be careful that it’s not so tight that it cuts through its flesh. It is possible to glue them after fragging, you have to dry the cut edge off with a towel, and then use a lot of glue, but even then you’ll probably end up having to reglue them a few times, so it’s best to let them attach to something and then glue them. The mother colony should put its polyps out within a few weeks, and the edge where it was cut can take a couple months to fully heal and start growing again.

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can take 2-3 weeks or more to fully attach. I put them in a cup with some sand and cover it with netting so they can’t get out. And then once they attach to some sand you can then superglue them to a frag plug/rubble (the sand will stay glued to the plug). You can also rubber and them to a plug/rubble, you just have to be careful that it’s not so tight that it cuts through its flesh. It is possible to glue them after fragging, you have to dry the cut edge off with a towel, and then use a lot of glue, but even then you’ll probably end up having to reglue them a few times, so it’s best to let them attach to something and then glue them. The mother colony should put its polyps out within a few weeks, and the edge where it was cut can take a couple months to fully heal and start growing again.
Thanks for the info. I dried the fraggs with a towel and super glued the peices; but all except one so far have detacched themselfs. I hope my rubber bands are not too tight. One did server the piese and i atatched te 2 pieces again in 2 diffrent once. Some seems a bit worse for wear with rubber band, but I don't want to tinker with them again. Its good to hear they will even atatch to sand :) . BTW did you put the cut with them in main display withlight on a frag rack or somewhere elese?
I sew mine with a needle and thread to live rock, or a piece of netting wrapped around the frag and rock using a rubber band to hold the netting right to the rock, or sandwich frag between two pieces or rubble and his with rubber band.
Good idea about the needles thing. I might give that a try next time than the rubber band one.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some thread and do a packaging knot (parcel bend knot) around the coral frag/disk. Rubber bands will cut the frag in two and glue will become useless once it slimes. I am 10 for 10 on the packaging knot method. They also make 3D printed frag plugs that essentially clamp the coral tissue in place. I think they are called "frag grabbers" or something.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I dried the fraggs with a towel and super glued the peices; but all except one so far have detacched themselfs. I hope my rubber bands are not too tight. One did server the piese and i atatched te 2 pieces again in 2 diffrent once. Some seems a bit worse for wear with rubber band, but I don't want to tinker with them again. Its good to hear they will even atatch to sand :) . BTW did you put the cut with them in main display withlight on a frag rack or somewhere elese?

Good idea about the needles thing. I might give that a try next time than the rubber band one.
I usually put them in a cup with some sand/small rubble covered with tulle/netting on the sandbed. Once they attach to some sand and can be glued to a frag plug I put them on a frag rack.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back