Tomini and Kole tang together?

xeanliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a few, probably too many tangs in a 100g display tank, Blue, Naso, Yello, Foxface and a Tomini, size from 2.5-4.5 inches, the smallest one is a Tomini. So far, very minor aggression among them. The worst case is the largest blue tang may chase Naso for less than a sec, if the naso get too close to him. The funny thing is the naso like to swim by its side ...

Anyway, I also have one 1-inch-small Kole tang in my frag tank for algae control, it does a good job. The job has done, I can keep it in the existing frag tank, but thinking about move it to join the big family ...

Would you move it? I think I am liltte worry about the Tomini because it is very active, and it did demonstrate some territorial behavior toward one fiji crownfish a while back ago. It took about 3-4 months until they finally settle peacefully.

Please feel free share what you would do, tang polices are fine too as long as still constructive suggestions instead of asking to to give my fish to others that I already have a plan next year :)

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a few, probably too many tangs in a 100g display tank, Blue, Naso, Yello, Foxface and a Tomini, size from 2.5-4.5 inches, the smallest one is a Tomini. So far, very minor aggression among them. The worst case is the largest blue tang may chase Naso for less than a sec, if the naso get too close to him. The funny thing is the naso like to swim by its side ...

Anyway, I also have one 1-inch-small Kole tang in my frag tank for algae control, it does a good job. The job has done, I can keep it in the existing frag tank, but thinking about move it to join the big family ...

Would you move it? I think I am liltte worry about the Tomini because it is very active, and it did demonstrate some territorial behavior toward one fiji crownfish a while back ago. It took about 3-4 months until they finally settle peacefully.

Please feel free share what you would do, tang polices are fine too as long as still constructive suggestions instead of asking to to give my fish to others that I already have a plan next year :)

Good evening and hope all is well.

I do not believe in tang police, it is your tank to do as you would feel best. No badged people are showing up to confiscate fish (unless you have one I like o_O ). That said I will mention they are big fish. I do believe you joined R2R for a reason, to learn and we are all here to help and learn.

To answer your question, I think you may mistake the flame tang activity for aggression. They are always pecking and eating. I have one in my 180 that when I introduced a smaller yellow tang to he attacked. I was stressed at first because the tomini was attacking the yellow which surprised me. Now they work together. I will say in your tight space he may be the one that gets picked on.

OP
OP
X

xeanliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening and hope all is well.

I do not believe in tang police, it is your tank to do as you would feel best. No badged people are showing up to confiscate fish (unless you have one I like o_O ). That said I will mention they are big fish. I do believe you joined R2R for a reason, to learn and we are all here to help and learn.

To answer your question, I think you may mistake the flame tang activity for aggression. They are always pecking and eating. I have one in my 180 that when I introduced a smaller yellow tang to he attacked. I was stressed at first because the tomini was attacking the yellow which surprised me. Now they work together. I will say in your tight space he may be the one that gets picked on.
You mean the larger 2.5-inch Tomini may picked on the smaller 1-inch Kole tang if I move the Kole tang to the display tank? ... some readings suggest size difference may help establishing hierarchy, some readings suggest smaller ones could be picked? I been very lucky not experience much aggressions among my fishes, which one you believe more? Could it trigger a war among them and ruin the current peaceful situation? Thank you!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is never a 100% way to tell with any of them who gets along with who. I would think they would take a few days to settle in. If you see aggression it may be due to limited space. it would not hurt if you could trade or rehome the Naso and blue. The yellow, tomini, and fox face would be a nice fit in there.

How big is the frag tank. The Tomini May be a good choice for the frag. Just a few suggestions. Others may have more

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best idea I can come up with to curb aggression is being very careful that the larger fish do not eat similar foods. I have not had issues with a kole, yellow, and foxface. They all go after different algae. Now, my kole would annoy my lawnmower blenny. They ate similar foods. :)

I would actually worry about the kole and tomini as the food source is similar. Make sure you feed lots of variety and have tons of live rock to pick off and they may be fine. I think a 100g may be too small for both though. Thinking of food source and space to claim.

Glad you have a plan for your babies as they grow. Good luck. I have a kole in qt that will have to join my yellows soon. Fingers crossed it goes well. I think the male angel will keep the peace though. He gets in the middle a lot to keep everyone happy.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think tomini will be aggressor to kole ,hopefully the size factor will be a good thing

OP
OP
X

xeanliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all ... conservatively, I think I am going to keep the small Kole in the frag tank to keep the algae in check, and not ruin the current harmony in DT. Really really tempting though :-(

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back