Tomini BristleTooth Tang breathing heavy and moving as little as possible

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been QTing three fish over the past two weeks. A manadrin dragonet, a midas BLenny, and a tomini bristletooth tang. All three are about 2 inches. The manadrin was taking out before the prazipro treatment since he ate through all the pods i could give him and would not take to frozen food. He is in the DT and doing fine, the Midas received the prazipro treatment for 6 days with the tang, he was taken out 2 days ago and is doing fine in the DT. My problem is the tang, ever since the midas was taken out he is very shy and hides himself, he hid with the midas before but now it is much worse. He also doesnt eat very much, only 4 hikari pellets a day max, he just wont take to more but has always done this so it didnt worry me. Yesterday I added 20 drops of cuprimine to the QT because it is 10g. since i have done that, he is breathing very heavy and trying to move as little as possible. he will jet away from you if you reach in to touch him. I did this because i though he was dead behind the sponge. Im not sure where to go from here and i havent tried feeding him yet. This is also my first tang so any advice here will help.

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-13-2021 Tomini tang, midas blenny, and Manderain dragonet added
1-15-2021 Manderain moved to Display tank, lack of food and would not consume frozen
1-16-2021 blenny and tang ate, 2.46ml PraziPro added
1-22-2021 do a 20% water change and run activated carbon for 3 days
1-25-2021 added 20 drops of cuprimine add another 20 in 48hrs

here is the full entry i have been keeping for the QT tank

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i should either run carbon or do a 50% water change to remove the copper

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: i couldnt wait any longer so i started running copper and did about a 30% water change since he did not seem to get any better, ill update again in a bit if anything changes

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update #2: no change in condition so i did another 2 gallons of water change for a total of 5g. i may have to make up another 5 gallon bucket to try again by the end of the night

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update #3 i came down today and he was stuck to the filter, i shut it down and he is swimming but barely, i have no idea how long he was stuck, i dont think he is going to make it, i dont know where i went wrong or what i could have done differently

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue is that 10 gallon tanks actually hold less than 8.5 gallons, depending on their fill level. If you dosed Cupramine for a full ten gallons, you may have overshot the mark. It is a good idea to always confirm copper dosing with a good test kit.
Mandarins are tough to feed during quarantine, but for other fish, my basic process is 30 days of copper, followed by 3x prazi treatments, ending with 2 weeks of observation.

I’m not sure what other advice I can offer you about the tomini though....it does sound too late for it.

Jay

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue is that 10 gallon tanks actually hold less than 8.5 gallons, depending on their fill level. If you dosed Cupramine for a full ten gallons, you may have overshot the mark. It is a good idea to always confirm copper dosing with a good test kit.
Mandarins are tough to feed during quarantine, but for other fish, my basic process is 30 days of copper, followed by 3x prazi treatments, ending with 2 weeks of observation.

I’m not sure what other advice I can offer you about the tomini though....it does sound too late for it.

Jay
he passed away, the other two are fine in the DT makes me feel horrible that it was my fault he died, but i guess all i can do now is learn from it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not have been your fault, the copper could just be a red herring, many diseases cause the same symptoms.
Jay

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not have been your fault, the copper could just be a red herring, many diseases cause the same symptoms.
Jay
i hope so, im going to take a month to wash out the tank and let it dry before i give it another go

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my

Jay
I agree with Jay, I qt all my fish in a 10 gallon with cupramine and I just assume 8 even though it might be 8.5 or 9. Thus I only dose for the 8 gallons and slowly bring it up, I test the copper doses everyday and do a 20% water change while readjusting the copper.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back