Tomini flashing

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Tomini from a shop that I have had excellent luck with. He was in QT and I noticed some flashing. I did not see spots like I have in the past for ich but I started adding copper. After 1 day of 1.5 ppm, I see some splotches and he is not eating. Is this just stress or something else? Any ideas?

20200812_203359.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have the Tomini before you started adding the copper? Did it show any of that skin discoloration before the copper? What brand of copper are you using? Any other fish in with it? Have you tested your water?

Jay

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a kole tang that was treated with copper and it was very blotchy like that. Now after being in my qt for over a month (I do not use copper) he is all cleared up and looks normal. My guess is it is a reaction to copper.

OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was in my frag tank for 8 days with a goby. When I noticed the flashing, I set up the qt with new SW and media from my frag tank sump in a power filter.

I am using coppersafe. I am testing copper with an api kit. I may have raised the level of copper too fast - up to 1.5 ppm in 2 days. I normally test for ammonia but have not yet today. I have an ammonia alert but don't rely on it completely.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That poor fish looks to be in pretty bad shape. Did it come with big chunks of fin missing when you got it, or did it happen after? I stopped trying to quarantine new fish years ago due to the high mortality rate. I believe that putting an already stressed fish into a mostly barren sterile environment is not worth the risk (I just use Safety Stop and then drip acclimate prior to adding fish to the main tank). Best of luck on a fast recovery...

OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was in an established frag tank. I pulled him out when he started flashing. I just went through a fallow period on my display from ich so I don't want that again.

Just looking for options.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get CP, I would dose this instead of using copper. Personally, I would get him out of copper and use a metro and prazi for most issues. Maybe a formalin bath or three if you can get that. Otherwise, do baths of reef rally, or similar, instead of full tank dosing. Just a thought for you.

OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I have some things in route. I have read some previous threads talking about flukes and bacterial issues with spots like this. I have General Cure and Furan 2 on hand. I have Metroplex and prazi in route. Would General cure or F2 be worthwhile to dose as the do work on some bacterial? Can they both be done in copper?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back