Tomini tang bacterial infection?

Svaillan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I picked up a Tomini tang from my LFS about a week ago (where he was kept in a low-salinity tank for about 2 weeks).

it's general health appears (to my untrained eye) to be good:

It's active in the tank
eats well
fins are all fanned out and moving normally
has normal consistency waste (not discolored or chalky)
and has not been rubbing on the substrate, rocks, or tank.

However, both of his pectoral fins appear swollen to me and both have minor sores on them. I'm curious if there's anything I can do for him in my DT?

221747941_1160533434456066_6970068925266782926_n.jpg

my other livestock includes:

Fish:
3 Clownfish (These were my first purchase 3 months ago and I found out after the fact that 3 were a bad idea, one is going to a new home soon)
1 yellowtail blenny

Inverts:
1 Mexican turbo snail
1 Emerald Crab
1 Fire shrimp
1 pincushion urchin.

I don't have any coral and don't plan to for another couple of months.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See signs of a stress condition in coloration around the head area, maybe some in the mid body. Could someone have bit him under the pec?

If it’s not infected, I’d just observe him but in a zero stress environment if not already. But be “ready” to act if he’s goes south. I hope the “med” experts can provide guidance in this respect.

I’ve had many instances where such things repair naturally.

OP
OP
Svaillan

Svaillan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, Uncle.

I don't think anything in my tank bit him. But he was in a small tank at the LFS with another tang and a few other things that probably wouldn't have gotten along the best. It was pretty well hidden when I picked him up and then hid in my tank for the first few days. The Tomini was on my "really want" list so I probably didn't pay as much attention as I should have, I will learn from that next time.

I will be sure to keep an eye out. I've been giving him access to Nori via feeding clip and feeding him a mix of flakes, frozen foods, and a special herbivore food that I picked up specifically for him. So hopefully he's feeling a bit less stressed as he gets used to the new tank.

OP
OP
Svaillan

Svaillan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I tried to get some more pictures of this.

His right Pectoral fin is Swollen, but the sore seems to be pretty small:

Tang3.jpg

His left side is worse (and has been from the beginning).

tang2.jpg

tang1.jpg

I ordered some Selcon for his food. At the moment he's still behaving normally. I just feel bad for the little guy and want to do what I can.

I'll go pick up a small QT tank tomorrow Just in case.

OP
OP
Svaillan

Svaillan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give an update to this. Unfortunately the Tomini has died.

The issue did appear to be lymphocystis, or at the very least went though all the symptoms that all the articles I read said it would. A few days after I posted this he started losing function in his pectoral fins. He was still able to move okay and could eat on his own for a few days. After that, He would try to eat on his own and also let me feed him with a turkey baster.

Yesterday, the wounds from the cell pockets that had burst looked significantly better on his fins, but he started getting a newly affected area on his face. Today I found him floating on his side (I actually thought he had died) but he tried to escape just a bit when I went to catch him with a net. In the end he just stopped where he was and let me scoop him out.

I tried giving him a freshwater dip in RO water but there were no signs of flukes or other parasites. I also noticed that his mouth had pockets of the cauliflower-like growths inside of it. I assume it was affecting his ability to intake oxygen.

I put him in a quarantine tank I had set up in case things went really south (they did faster than I was prepared for) but he didn't make it.

I appreciate all the advice I got here I think it helped me keep him comfortable.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back