Tomini Tang Hiding

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have had my Tomini Tang for over a year in my 220 gallon DT. He was regularly active in the tank but after a 3 day weekend away he has been hiding in a cave in the rock work barley showing his face. I haven't added any new fish in months, last one I added was a yellow tang about 4 months ago. Thy had no issues with one another, other then the first day or two but very little aggression. What could be making him hide out?

Maxout
OP
M

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I haven’t seen him even come out to eat. Every once in awhile he will poke his head out but shoots right back in.

Reefing_addiction

Corals over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So mine did this after his buddy went Mia, but he would come out to eat. I recently swapped tanks and now he comes out but he is still super skiddish. But honestly my flame has always been a chicken

Did you have someone watching the tank while you were gone?

ypu may want to watch for someone else picking on him

OP
M

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks for your reply. I didn’t have anyone watching the tank. I have an auto feeder and apex so for the few days I just let it ride. I haven’t noticed any previous aggression in the tank Pryor. I’m hoping he is coming out at some point to eat while I’m away at work or at night

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

Reefing_addiction

Corals over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Maybe he is mad at you for leaving lol
I know you said he is hiding but can you see any part of him? Notice rapid breathing? Have you tried tempting him with nori? Maybe even put some on a rock and drop it close to his hiding spot

OP
M

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I can’t really get a good look at him I’ve been trying to see if he has any injuries or visible illness but been unsuccessful. This evening I’m going to try dropping a rock with nori near him.

workhz

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I was going to say maybe he’s got used to not having a person (or shadows) around the tank and just needed to re-adjust.

They make super cheap WiFi cameras now. Everyone should have one for viewing their tanks and fish without scaring the inhabitants.

I have a orchid dottyback that doesn’t come out very often when I’d stand near the tank but he was out and about when I was away.

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 165 41.4%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 35 8.8%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 174 43.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.5%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA