Tomini Tang Hiding

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Tomini Tang for over a year in my 220 gallon DT. He was regularly active in the tank but after a 3 day weekend away he has been hiding in a cave in the rock work barley showing his face. I haven't added any new fish in months, last one I added was a yellow tang about 4 months ago. Thy had no issues with one another, other then the first day or two but very little aggression. What could be making him hide out?

OP
OP
M

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen him even come out to eat. Every once in awhile he will poke his head out but shoots right back in.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mine did this after his buddy went Mia, but he would come out to eat. I recently swapped tanks and now he comes out but he is still super skiddish. But honestly my flame has always been a chicken

Did you have someone watching the tank while you were gone?

ypu may want to watch for someone else picking on him

OP
OP
M

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I didn’t have anyone watching the tank. I have an auto feeder and apex so for the few days I just let it ride. I haven’t noticed any previous aggression in the tank Pryor. I’m hoping he is coming out at some point to eat while I’m away at work or at night

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he is mad at you for leaving lol
I know you said he is hiding but can you see any part of him? Notice rapid breathing? Have you tried tempting him with nori? Maybe even put some on a rock and drop it close to his hiding spot

OP
OP
M

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really get a good look at him I’ve been trying to see if he has any injuries or visible illness but been unsuccessful. This evening I’m going to try dropping a rock with nori near him.

OP
OP
M

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is out and about again!!! I guess maybe he was just made at me lol.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say maybe he’s got used to not having a person (or shadows) around the tank and just needed to re-adjust.

They make super cheap WiFi cameras now. Everyone should have one for viewing their tanks and fish without scaring the inhabitants.

I have a orchid dottyback that doesn’t come out very often when I’d stand near the tank but he was out and about when I was away.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back