Tomini Tang Not Interested In Nori

Rconner15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a tomini tang that just doesn't seem to be interested in Nori. He recently completed a 4 week quarentine and has been in my display tank for 2 weeks now. He's been eating enriched Hikari Brine Shrimp and Hikari mysis shrimp vigorously the entire time. To feed, I've tried hanging the nori from a clip as well as rubber banding it to a tonga branch. I've also tried soaking the nori in garlic guard and entice. I've been leaving it in for two days at a time. Usually my snails get to it before then.

Any other suggestions on what may get him to eat nori? Has anyone had an issue feeding nori to a tang like I'm having?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

THX1138CY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have not yet been able to get my Yellow Tang to eat nori as well, 6 weeks, I have tried green and red both with garlic guard, no luck. But he loves PE Mysis/Calcanius and any other frozen I use, as well as pellets, and ofc gha.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs can take awhile to figure out wbat it is. Once one discovers it, they’ll all tear in to it like crazy.

Try red nori, it tends to be more enticing to newbies.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth tangs like the Tomini are detritivores. Not so much algae eaters.

Don't leave your noori in longer than 24 hours. Change it out daily no matter what.

Don't quit offering it ether – offer smaller and smaller amounts until someone shows interest.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(That, their size, and their propensity to be solo makes them one of the more ideal aquarium tangs.)

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say this, I have a Tomini in QT right now. He won't eat nori in a pouch (I use the Two little fishes magnetic pouch, much better than a clip) but eats it when it is on a small PVC elbow. He eats pellets like candy so he is still getting his nutrition, but I figured he would like to graze. My bi-color angel didn't care for it too much until he was in the DT and saw the foxface eating it.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk man, mine ate it from day one, off a clip no less

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my fish do, my cleaner wrasse, my leopard wrasse even my baby niger trigger will eat nori(could be that they eat it anyway but I thought triggers, like puffers, were carnivorous)

Jolly Roger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tomini tang won't touch it either... Seems that it always goes to waste. I'll try the red next time though!

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my fish do, my cleaner wrasse, my leopard wrasse even my baby niger trigger will eat nori(could be that they eat it anyway but I thought triggers, like puffers, were carnivorous)
The funny thing is my six line wrasse will eat it along with just about everything else in the tank, but not the tomini. I don’t get it, but I stopped trying to.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it with a frag plug. Seen this at a LFS and the tomini was chowing it. Drop it from the top and it sinks to the bottom facing up. When the lights go out. Take a claw and grab it.

IMG_20171101_121700.jpg

IMG_20171101_121704.jpg

Last edited:

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomini never ate nori in qt so I haven't bothered putting any in the DT. He does seem to like the bits or nori that come in the reef frenzy though, guess I could try some sheets again.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get my flame angel to touch nori. My yellow & purple wrasse loves to rip at it. I can't tell if he is eating it or playing with it.

Ace6090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the risk leaving the nori in for more than 24 hours? Mine is usually gone before then but I never know if it was all eaten or was ripped in half and left to get stuck in the rockwork.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put my Tomini on the DT a week and a half ago. I saw him picking at the Nori (in the TLF pouch) along with the foxface and angel. Maybe he needed someone to show him how to do it?

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle tooth tangs are not as crazy about nori as yellow or purple tangs in my experience. Even my powder brown eats more nori than kole tang or tomini tang.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle tooth tangs are not as crazy about nori as yellow or purple tangs in my experience. Even my powder brown eats more nori than kole tang or tomini tang.
My kole was crazy about Nori. I really think my Tomini saw the angel and foxface pecking away and went to check it out

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a 5" blonde naso tang that wouldn't touch nori for about 2 to 3 weeks. Now I can't feed him enough of it. I think you're right that some tangs aren't used to associating the algae on a clip until they see other fish eating from it, and I think anytime a fish changes environments (i.e. being moved to a new tank) this is stressful for the fish and they may refrain from their more normal behavior and feeding patterns till they are more settled.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back