All the inhabitants in the current 120 will be transfered to the new 180:

Coral5-27-09018.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful tank!! Love the look of the stand and canopy!

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Rev. The 180 setup including the bookcases are built by OCEA Aquatics to my specifications and design. They did an excellent job, didn't they?! I am extremely pleased with the way it turned out.

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomoko:

Is it an external overflow?
How are you going to setup your background on it.... I see that you have a black background on the old tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OCEA is a great builder. I am very happy with mine for sure.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary-

I have two internal corner overflow boxes. Having the tank up against the wall, it was easier to use internal boxes for plumbing. There is no messing around with anything behind it once the tank is placed as far as I am concerned although the young Ocea guys who delivered the tank picked up the entire set up and moved it a few inches back to set it at the final place after making sure everything was aligned correctly (yikes!).

As for the background, I may use one of those plastic black aquarium background. The background on 120 is left clear. With all the corals no one can tell what color the background is :D. You are probably looking at the two large black overflow boxes (All Glass Aquarium tanks have those as you know.)

Tomoko

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Tomoko, it will come together. You are getting ready to find out how much you can spend at Lowe's on a reef tank. And by the way if you happen to stumble into Home Depot by mistake (when you leave you'll understand why I say "by mistake") don't make the mistake of trying to ask any of the employees for help, they're clueless. If one of them asks you if you need any help, you might try to pretend to not speak English. Start asking them questions in Japanese. They'll leave you alone then. That'll speed up the process.

Keep the pics comin'!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start asking them questions in Japanese. They'll leave you alone then. That'll speed up the process.

LOL, a great advice!!

By the time this tank is up and running, Home Depot is going to wonder if I am one of their employees (always there but just as clueless, haha.)

Tomoko

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Thats going to be one sweet tank when you get it finished. Are you going to get rid of the 120 or put something else in it?

Jack

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, gflat :). I am working on it slowly. I am trying to cut a PVC pipe to fit my overflow. I need to get a different cutter since my rachet cutter does not work on any pipe larger than 1 inch in diameter. Time for another trip to HD.

Jack -

I will be putting my 120, stand, and pendant light fixture up for sale after the tansfer along with my 29 gallon tank, its stand, canopy, Excalibur skimmer, and 20GL sump. Thank you for the nice compliment and also for the black egg crate. I got it from Pete the other day :).

Tomoko

Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just cut the pipe with a hacksaw, That's what I did. One size fits all. :dribble:

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must confess that I am terribly challenged in the hand tool department. I cannot cut streight with any saw.... I cannot hit a nail on the head although I am very good at mashing fingers.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you could enlist the assistance of Reilly for maybe 3 minutes? Anyone who can cast a spinnerbait at the forks of two blowdowns should have no problem with a simple hacksaw.:nosebleed_002:

BTW, if you need any assistance I'm sure Mariner would be more than happy to render his expertise with hand tools.

Last edited:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compound Miter Saw works great on PVC too.... I have a 12" version, makes VERY quick work of 1.5" stuff. ;)

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys use schedule 40 or thin wall? Is the thin wall easier to cut? Or the more solid schedule 40 be easier in a miter box? I recall seeing an old decrepit wooden miter box in my garage. Reilly's circular saw is not mounted on anything, though. So I will be cutting the pipe with a hacksaw.

Tomoko

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schedule 40 for me. I'm sure the thinwall would work for drains, but I would not use it on returns. (No reason other then opinion though.)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back