Tom's Reefer XL 200 (An unexpected journey)

tho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my first build thread!

I am setting up my first reef tank with a Red Sea Reefer XL 200. At the time of this post, I have the tank and equipment set up:

Tank: Red Sea Reefer XL 200
Return pump: Neptune COR-15
Wave maker: Neptune WAV
Controller: Neptune ApexEL
Lighting: Kessil A360X + WiFi
Skimmer: Red Sea RSK 300
Heating: Two 100W BRS titanium heaters + Ink Bird controller
RODI: BRS 5 Stage Premium 75 GPD
Salt: hwMarine-mix Reefer

First glimpse:

tank_initial_setup.jpg

OP
OP
tho

tho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together my initial RODI and mixing station and had finished my leak test of the tank when I found that...

The floor joists under the tank failed! A structural engineer came out and found that the lumber used for the floor joists were likely dried improperly. Around 30% of the floor joists under the first floor have some degree of cracking (in our four-year old house). :oops: Luckily, I picked the absolute weakest spot to place the tank, where two adjacent joists are both in or near failure mode. I should have checked more thoroughly before placing the tank, but I was suspicious when the floor bounced as I walked by the full tank. (Also when the surface of the water looked like something out of Jurassic Park when my 13 lb Boston Terrier ;Panda walked by).

Moving on... I'm about to move the tank to a more sound location so that I can fill it with RODI and mix in the salt.

OP
OP
tho

tho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update, an electrician is coming out soon to help troubleshoot why my GFCI outlet isn’t working. I may just ask them to put the aquarium on it’s own circuit while they’re at it.

I think it was a sign when I put together the cabinet with the first piece on backwards! I’m just taking the opportunity to plan out my stocking and wiring a bit more.

I’ll take some pictures of the sump and mixing station soon!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back