TonalT Red Sea Reefer 250 (LPS + Soft Coral Tank)

TonalT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red Sea Reefer 250 (LPS + Soft Coral Tank)​

Intro​

Currently I have two Nano tanks, which I am planning to break down and turn into a pair of Red Sea Reefer Tanks. The first tank will be a bare bottom LPS specific tank in a Red Sea 250. The second tank will be a SPS only tank (in a 4-5ft tank) that will be built a bit later this year.

Biocube (Mixed Reef Donor Tank)
Biocube.jpg

IM Lagoon 25G (Frag Tank)
Lagoon 25.jpg

Gear​

• Pumps
  • Sicce SDC 6.0 Return Pump
  • 2x Nero 5 (Might add a third)
  • Reef Octopus Essence 130 Skimmer
  • 3x Aqua Illuminations Prime 16HD Lights
  • 1x Aqua Illuminations Prime Fuge
  • BRS 300W Titanium Heater Element
  • Ink Bird Wifi Controller
  • Dosing
  • GHL Doser 2.1 SA (4 head)
  • BRS Calc + Trace
  • BRS Alk + Trace
  • BRS Mag
  • Tropic Marin Part C
  • ATO
  • Tunze Osmolator

Livestock List​

• Tomini Tang
  • Yellow Tang (I will trade it out when it gets too big)
  • Pair of Pink Skunk Clowns
  • Blue Green Chromis (5x)
  • Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasse
  • Trocus Snails
  • Blue Leged hermit crabs

Coral Plan​

Once the tank is ready for coral, I will start pulling corals from my other two systems (Bio Cube and 25G Lagoon Frag Tank). First, I will put a few testers to try it out, and once I am certain the tank is ready for corals I will move over many more pieces.

I will dip all the coral in Revive as I move them over to protect the new tank from potential pests. Also, were possible I will ditch the old frag plugs, and attach the corals directly to the new rock.

Some of the coral that will be going into this tank includes

• Various Mushrooms (Riccordea and Rhodactis)
  • Trumpets (Green, Kryptonite, Blue Stripped and Blue)
  • Hammers
  • Torches
  • Frogspawns
  • Platygyra
  • Favias/Favities (Dragon Soul, UC Facination, War Coral, Spatter Paint, Skittles, Mayan Sun, JF Sector 001, CB Bloodbath, Etc)
  • Zoas and Palys
  • Chalices (3G mummy Eye, Raspberry Rainbow, Space Invader, Space Balls, etc)
  • Acan Lords
  • Acan Echinata

Last edited:

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like a plan! Keep us posted

OP
OP
T

TonalT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as they say "Idle hands are the Devils workshop." As I await my new tank, my mind wont stop thinking of ways to improve upon the build.

First, I know I need to figure out some form of Door Activated LED strip light for under the tank, to make working in the sump area easier. I think I might use some form of Samsung SmartThings automation to make this happen. Place a door sensor on the inside of the cabinet doors, and have it trigger a smart outlet. (Any advice would be appreciated)

Second, I ordered a Second box of 40LBS Carib Sea Shelf Rock, and picked up another 10lbs from the LFS. (I will be setting up two tanks in the next few months, so I am trying to stay prepared.

Third, I am working on building a system to enable automation for a two week vacation (as soon as travel resumes). I will setup a 20G Brute with RODI for the ATO, and have a pre-programed Auto Feeder for the tank ready to go. I have some research to figure out what else I will need to setup, to be prepared for such a trip. (I would preform a Large maintenance before the trip to clean up the tank as much as possible.

Last, I am trying to plan ahead for a DIY Control Board, to stay in front of organization. I am a big believer in the idea that if its difficult to perform maintenance, you won't do it as frequently as it should be (or at all).

Lots of work to be done in the coming days/weeks to get this tank "right." I am trying to think of as many things as possible to do before the tank arrives and is setup, so that this tank can be up and running in a short time after arrival!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TonalT I can’t wait to see your Reefer too. I remember how excited I was when I got my Reefer 250. I removed the plastic wrap and just stared at the sealed boxes in awe for about a week before I opened them. The boxes stacked up on the pallet look so impressive. Check out my Reefer 250 build click on my Build Thread Contributor badge underneath my username. You should get a Build Thread Contributor banner to. Just ask for one. I’m following your thread.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red Sea Reefer 250 (LPS + Soft Coral Tank)​

Intro​

Currently I have two Nano tanks, which I am planning to break down and turn into a pair of Red Sea Reefer Tanks. The first tank will be a bare bottom LPS specific tank in a Red Sea 250. The second tank will be a SPS only tank (in a 4-5ft tank) that will be built a bit later this year.

Biocube (Mixed Reef Donor Tank)
Biocube.jpg

IM Lagoon 25G (Frag Tank)
Lagoon 25.jpg

Gear​

• Pumps
  • Sicce SDC 6.0 Return Pump
  • 2x Nero 5
  • Reef Octopus Essence 130 Skimmer
  • 3x Aqua Illuminations Prime 16HD Lights
  • Dosing
  • GHL Doser 2.1 SA (4 head)
  • BRS Calc + Trace
  • BRS Alk + Trace
  • BRS Mag
  • Tropic Marin Part C
  • ATO
  • Tunze Osmolator

Livestock List​

• Tomini Tang
  • Yellow Tang (I will trade it out when it gets too big)
  • Pair of Pink Skunk Clowns
  • Blue Green Chromis (5x)
  • Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasse
  • Trocus Snails
  • Blue Leged hermit crabs

Coral Plan​

Once the tank is ready for coral, I will start pulling corals from my other two systems (Bio Cube and 25G Lagoon Frag Tank). First, I will put a few testers to try it out, and once I am certain the tank is ready for corals I will move over many more pieces.

I will dip all the coral in Revive as I move them over to protect the new tank from potential pests. Also, were possible I will ditch the old frag plugs, and attach the corals directly to the new rock.

Some of the coral that will be going into this tank includes

• Various Mushrooms (Riccordea and Rhodactis)
  • Trumpets (Green, Kryptonite, Blue Stripped and Blue)
  • Hammers
  • Torches
  • Frogspawns
  • Platygyra
  • Favias/Favities (Dragon Soul, UC Facination, War Coral, Spatter Paint, Skittles, Mayan Sun, JF Sector 001, CB Bloodbath, Etc)
  • Zoas and Palys
  • Chalices (3G mummy Eye, Raspberry Rainbow, Space Invader, Space Balls, etc)
  • Acan Lords
  • Acan Echinata
Looking good.

OP
OP
T

TonalT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TonalT I can’t wait to see your Reefer too. I remember how excited I was when I got my Reefer 250. I removed the plastic wrap and just stared at the sealed boxes in awe for about a week before I opened them. The boxes stacked up on the pallet look so impressive. Check out my Reefer 250 build click on my Build Thread Contributor badge underneath my username. You should get a Build Thread Contributor banner to. Just ask for one. I’m following your thread.
How do I request a Build Thread Contributor banner? Thanks

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I request a Build Thread Contributor banner? Thanks
@TonalT sure thing. I’ll see if I can post a link to the thread here. Still new to this phone.

OP
OP
T

TonalT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TonalT sure thing. I’ll see if I can post a link to the thread here. Still new to this phone.

Done... Thanks!

OP
OP
T

TonalT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank as arrived! I am working though getting everything in order for the test fitting tonight. Unfortunately, I'm on my own until tonight, so the tank has to stay in the garage until I have some further help.
IMG_3580.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank as arrived! I am working though getting everything in order for the test fitting tonight. Unfortunately, I'm on my own until tonight, so the tank has to stay in the garage until I have some further help.
IMG_3580.jpeg
@TonalT pinch yourself for a reality check!!

OP
OP
T

TonalT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is in place, plumbing is run, filled the overflow tower with water to test the plumbing.

Looks like a trip to the LFS is in order for some way to adapt the Sicce SDC to the Red Sea Plumbing. The supplied green return line is too small to fit on the Sicce's barbed fitting.

Also, thanks SaltwaterAquarium.com for hooking me up with a free absorbent rug for working on the tank. Its very comfortable to stand on.
IMG_3584.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TonalT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it has been a month of cycling. I bought a BRS 300W Titanium Heater, and Ink Bird Wifi Controller for it (The tank was sitting around 74 as it was oddly cold). Ammonia is 0, and Nitrites are at .25 this morning, so we are getting close to getting some fish.

Finished the aquascape, after several trips to the LFS for some more shelf rock. (I must have an extra 60LBS or rock in a bin ready for the next tank)

Transferred some coral from my other two tanks, as starter pieces over the last two weeks, and everything seems to be doing great! I have a nice 10 head colony of hammers , a bunch of Zoas, a Chalice frag, some ricordea mushrooms, some trumpets, a piece of war coral, a bunch of lords, etc. Everything seems to be as happy as they were in the other tanks (the Lords were getting a little ***** in the Frag system as too much detritus would settle on them).

Just received my Dosing containers from BRS (I am using the space saver 1G jugs with the mur-lok bulkheads on them). I have to figure out how I am going to mount the GHL Doser on this system. Once that is complete I will organize all of the wiring for the system.

Last night, I added 2 Quarts of Marine Pure spheres to the tank to help with the biological surface area for the tank. I am hoping the bacteria bloom settles down.

I purchased an AI Prime Fuge for the tank, and will be mounting it in the sump once it arrives.

Last, I ordered some of my parts for the mesh top, to cut out around the AI Prime mounts. Looking forward to their arrival as its the last thing I need before I add my Pink Skunks to the tank (I might add 5 all at once)
IMG_3653.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back