Tons of hermits or gradual adding of CUC?

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have a recently cycled 210g reef tank that is in need of some CUC. Currently have 3 tangs that are doing a good job keeping the algae down but it's time to add some CUC.

I've heard conflicting information about putting in hundreds of crabs or following a 1 per 10 gallon rule. Honestly, we don't have much algae and I don't want to throw in too many inverts just to starve them.

Would it be acceptable to add a few hermits and snails, an emerald crab and a cleaner shrimp? My thinking is that you can always add more but I wanted some feedback before doing so. TIA.

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is link to a suggested CUC for about your sized tank. https://reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/quick-crew-w-hermits-220-gallon

If you have fish that are pooping and food that isnt being eaten there will be plenty of food for them in your tank. The last thing you want to do, IMO, is wait until you do have an algae problem. To me, a good CUC is as important as a good test kit.
Keep in mind a good and varied clean up crew does more than just eat algae.

If you're worried about not having enough for them to eat you can always throw in an algae sheet or wafer for them. At the very least, start with a clean up crew for a 100gl. tank.

OP
OP
Zenchi

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is link to a suggested CUC for about your sized tank. https://reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/quick-crew-w-hermits-220-gallon

If you have fish that are pooping and food that isnt being eaten there will be plenty of food for them in your tank. The last thing you want to do, IMO, is wait until you do have an algae problem. To me, a good CUC is as important as a good test kit.
Keep in mind a good and varied clean up crew does more than just eat algae.

If you're worried about not having enough for them to eat you can always throw in an algae sheet or wafer for them. At the very least, start with a clean up crew for a 100gl. tank.

Thanks. We're mostly doing nori for the tangs plus they've been picking at the rocks and sand throughout the day. My biggest concern with adding too many CUC is having them go after the fish if they're hungry. Will upping the nori be acceptable for increasing the food source if needed?

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a huge fan of hermit crabs. They do a great job on hair algae but are a pain im the butt IME. You could always just not get an hermits or just get a few. If they give you a hard time, pull them out and give them away. Snails def wont go after your fish. ;)

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always tricky with CUC because there can be such a huge difference in price between the two tactics. I personally prefer to bite the bullet and pay the $3+ per at the fish store to pick out sizable scarlets and snails as it lets me keep track of how many are surviving and I can slowly add more as needed. But then again your tank is twice the size of mine so caveat emptor!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend going a bit slow, newer tanks don't need as heavy of a crew.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go slow. The hermits have a tendency to murder each other and snail that they like the shell of.
I have a bunch in a quarantine right now and I'm thinking about throwing half back in the ocean.
They do have a funny personality though, and are fun to watch. They are little maniacs when you feed them.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back