Tons of nightlife in my tank

wendy whaleiams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So I’ve recently discovered how fun it is to look at your tank with a flashlight at night when it’s pitch black. As well as finding I have a thriving copepod population, I found a multitude of lil creepy crawlies all over my tank. I found a few baby brittle stars gnawing on my montipora, which is in pretty bad shape already, I’m not sure if I should be concerned or happy because I have no idea where they came from. I also found a lot of what I think are featherdusters, I’m hoping. Also I kept seeing translucent wormlike things coming out of my sand, they were a little less than an inch long, I couldn’t get a picture of them because they’re translucent and very skinny, but does anyone have any idea what they might be. I also have a ton of spirorbid snails which I haven’t done anything about because I read that they’re harmless and I don’t mind their appearance. But tonight I also found some vermetid snails of varying sizes, not sure what to feel or do about those. The last thing I found that I’m curious about is something growing on the side of my torch coral. It’s sort of a reddish green and looks kind of like a slug except it does not move at all.
Spirorbid snails??Tiny brittle starsmore spirorbidsthis is the weird red gooey stuff on my torch, it started to grow over the sand. Also there’s a pretty big vermetid under one of the torch heads
I tried to take a pic of one of the featherdusters (I think) but it’s hard to see bc it’s translucent. However I did see a tiny red one somewhere...

Any thoughts/opinions are welcome

OP
OP
W

wendy whaleiams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops I guess the images decided to run away. Anyways here they are
upload_2018-7-20_4-0-16.png
upload_2018-7-20_4-4-36.png
upload_2018-7-20_4-5-47.png
upload_2018-7-20_4-6-10.png
upload_2018-7-20_4-6-40.png

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a nice micro brittle star in image 2. They're good CUC.

Pretty sure the yellow thing in image 3 is a sponge. Some can grow over corals but other than that they're safe filter feeders.

The spirobid worms can clog pumps. I have them, I just soak pumps in dilute vinegar and they come off easily.

Not sure about the rest.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red stuff and "slug" are cyanobacteria.

Worms in the sand are probably peanut worms but I need a better picture to be sure

Brittlestars are actually helping to keep your monti clean, not eating it

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they yellow thing is stationary, its probably a sponge.
If its moving around its probably a fleshy limpet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back