Tony's 72g Mixed Reef Build

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are those frag racks called you have hanging on the back? Those are awesome! And absolutely gorgeous tank by the way! Nice place you got there too. Personally not a fan of city living, more of a Burbs guy myself but if I had a place like that with a view like that *thumbs up*!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well don't I feel special, @revhtree

Here are some quick updates and pics I just snapped:

Decided to get into zoas:

IMG_0678.JPG

Got a small powder blue tang finally (got it straight from the shipment bag at lfs, so has some ich. Not worried, it's only been a week):

IMG_0677.jpg

Got a pink nepthea that is my new favourite:

IMG_0634.jpg

My rainbow trachy that I almost killed (I think by feeding too much, or a new small one I got infected it w/something) has made a full recovery.

IMG_0679.jpg

Left side (going to sell some of my purple gonis to make space for zoas).

IMG_0689.JPG

Middle (got a second xmas tree worm rock):

IMG_0690.JPG

Right (got a new pink tip elegance):

IMG_0691.JPG

Full tank shot:

IMG_0688.jpg

Built a lid kit so that I could get a pearly jawfish, which my fish beat the hell out of yesterday and now lives in my friends tank. Also a royal gramma that is still getting beat up and kept in the corner, may fish the psuedochromis out today, but I think the clownfish is the real aggressor. Took my pink damsel out of the tank also, just didn't love the colour or the fish anymore. The yellow tang is also new.

Next on my list is a blue ribbon eel or two. They seem to be in short supply these days.

Otherwise the tank is going well enough. Going to rearrange the sump a little and use sections for growout. Will snap some more photos maybe later this week and list a couple of items in the for sale section.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank

from this I infer all the negative chemistry attributed to black sand is false, like what api says free ammonia does.

sharp pics,
B

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term, how are you liking the Tunze frag racks?
I was asking about the racks over in this thread:
Feel free to join in the conversation there.

Good looking tank you got there. Read the story... man those pistol shrimp.. grats on the tank award.

FamilyMan_4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killer Tank!
Just read through the whole story.
Inspiring colours, pictures and tank progress
Congrats!

Do you still have both clams?
I could only find one in your recent pics

Also is your porthole still holding up?
Your pictures make me want to invest in one for sure and up my own camera game

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got PTSD reading through this thread haha. When I first saw that rock I thought I should have started my tank with that stuff instead of dry rock. No way I'd put that in my tank without quarantining after getting through this thread.

Tank looks awesome though.

Alexusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally attacked the mess of wires and reclaimed the other half of my couch. Also the trochus snails are doing an awesome job, I regret only getting six of them. Going to grab another ten or so on Thursday when I'm near the only LFS I actually like in the area which is in Brooklyn near work.

IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5309.JPG
IMG_5310.JPG

I need to get a smaller board, but this was good as a test run. The skimmer power wire wasn't quite long enough so that's next to the sump, and the ATO box I need to rewire a bit to mount, didn't have the energy for it. Happy to have crossed this off the list for now though.
Finally attacked the mess of wires and reclaimed the other half of my couch. Also the trochus snails are doing an awesome job, I regret only getting six of them. Going to grab another ten or so on Thursday when I'm near the only LFS I actually like in the area which is in Brooklyn near work.

IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5309.JPG
IMG_5310.JPG

I need to get a smaller board, but this was good as a test run. The skimmer power wire wasn't quite long enough so that's next to the sump, and the ATO box I need to rewire a bit to mount, didn't have the energy for it. Happy to have crossed this off the list for no
Which local fish store in Brooklyn? I work in BK as well, live in Yonkers and go to an LFS in Greenwich, CT.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I just realized I haven't updated this thread in nearly a year. I'm the WORST. Although it's the two year anniversary of this tank, so something to celebrate!

Fortunately the tank has been doing great. As with most reefs a couple of losses here and there and very many changes of direction. For now here is a video. 72g worth of water, about 180g worth of fish and coral. But everything is doing really well. Forgive the dirty glass, hard to fit the magnet anymore. lol

This system is only to be for a few more months before I move in August though. I'll update as things start to materialize, but if all goes well then all these fish are in for a MAJOR upgrade and there will be a whole new build thread.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I just realized I haven't updated this thread in nearly a year. I'm the WORST. Although it's the two year anniversary of this tank, so something to celebrate!

Fortunately the tank has been doing great. As with most reefs a couple of losses here and there and very many changes of direction. For now here is a video. 72g worth of water, about 180g worth of fish and coral. But everything is doing really well. Forgive the dirty glass, hard to fit the magnet anymore. lol

This system is only to be for a few more months before I move in August though. I'll update as things start to materialize, but if all goes well then all these fish are in for a MAJOR upgrade and there will be a whole new build thread.

Really impressive tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back