Too much flow for clowns trying to sleep?

Imnotjakeyv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed a Maxspect gyre xf330 and the clowns seemed to do fine swimming around at 10% (my “night time” setting) but now they are trying to sleep and they host up in the top middle back of the tank and I’m looking over there and the smaller of the two seems to drift with the current and gets separated from his lady friend and can’t catch back up to where they are cuddling. My question is will that stress them out and cause issues or will they just have a rough night and find a new place with less flow. bc the lady friend keeps having to zoom over to him all the while he is swimming like Nemos dad trying to catch the boat.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank needs some flow, even at night imo. I keep my power head on daytime settings even at night and my 2 1 inch clowns host the powerhead like the stupid idiots they are. Never seen a problem with them and I bet your clowns will start sleeping somewhere else. :)

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave my pumps on obviously at night - but I turn my power heads off for the same concern that you are talking about.
it may not be what everyone does but my clowns stay on one side of my tank and they seem happier with the low flow to sleep. My pumps keep decent flow going during the night.

OP
OP
Imnotjakeyv

Imnotjakeyv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank needs some flow, even at night imo. I keep my power head on daytime settings even at night and my 2 1 inch clowns host the powerhead like the stupid idiots they are. Never seen a problem with them and I bet your clowns will start sleeping somewhere else. :)

I guess the reason I ask is my tank is only 40G and the 10% provides a pretty decent amount of flow that covers the whole tank with barely any dead spots maybe a tiny bit behind a rock just underneath the power head. But during the day I have it set to do higher flow and it changes up a bunch to get that #variedflow. I just hate to see him struggle lol. Thank you though I’m hoping they do try to find a new place until I get a Nem then there’s the struggle of getting them to host in that lol.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're okay. They will just need to find a new place to sleep. At 10%, it's only like 250gph. I keep a night mode for my fish as well. The new pump likely has them confused.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the reason I ask is my tank is only 40G and the 10% provides a pretty decent amount of flow that covers the whole tank with barely any dead spots maybe a tiny bit behind a rock just underneath the power head. But during the day I have it set to do higher flow and it changes up a bunch to get that #variedflow. I just hate to see him struggle lol. Thank you though I’m hoping they do try to find a new place until I get a Nem then there’s the struggle of getting them to host in that lol.

my tank is only a 20 gal. Every night they stick themselves to the powerhead and fall asleep like that. Scared the crap outta me the first couple days but now they hop off when I turn on the light and swim near me like Mom!!! We’re okay!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back