Too much good bacteria

Digicop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have routinely been adding MicroBacter7 to a Biocube and recently I have been getting what I assume is bacteria on the glass that has to be cleaned every couple hours. I have attached a picture. I am hoping I didn’t seed it too much and caused an issue.

BA23C885-C2D9-4B6F-BD68-8ED41E075B0A.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have increased the bacterial population via dosing so that the bacteria is looking for additional real estate. In this case, it's growing on the glass, but you may also encounter bacterial "mats". If you were to continue dosing so that the bacterial population continued to increase, you may experience a bacterial bloom where the bacteria enter the water column or the population of bacteria is greater than the carrying capacity of the tank and you experience a die off. Ultimately, you should either cut down on how much you are dosing or increase the efficiency of removal (skimming).

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is tricky diagnosing a microorganism problem without identifying It with the aid of a microscope.

If it is a bacteria bloom, it would require organic matter to feast on.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rapid bacterial blooms almost always show up as cloudy water - not usually as film on the glass.
When you scrape it, and force the film matter together, is it mostly colorless? (bacteria) or is it notably brown or green? (photosynthetic organism)

OP
OP
Digicop

Digicop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is green. I think it is time for me to order a microscope. What is the minimum power I can get away for most identification incidents related to aquariums.

9DC70751-E547-43FC-AF14-AADE95817083.jpeg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have increased the bacterial population via dosing so that the bacteria is looking for additional real estate. In this case, it's growing on the glass, but you may also encounter bacterial "mats". If you were to continue dosing so that the bacterial population continued to increase, you may experience a bacterial bloom where the bacteria enter the water column or the population of bacteria is greater than the carrying capacity of the tank and you experience a die off. Ultimately, you should either cut down on how much you are dosing or increase the efficiency of removal (skimming).
May be possible also too much bacteria will reduce your pH and oxygen levels, bacteria take in oxygen and exhaust carbon dioxide

darkcurrent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been in the same situation as you last two weeks (I've been dosing Microbacter 7 - probably over doing it) .. I can confirm these may be bacterial bloom. Easily wipes off - use a brush once you notice ...

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 30ml MB7 daily. Have been for two weeks. It’s kept algae at bay and the water has never been clearer. Hmm. How old is your tank? Maybe it’s something else?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back