OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a Radion Gen 4 XR30 from my LFS, they were taking them off their coral tanks to upgrade to the Gen 6s, so I got a good deal on it. Having trouble getting it to connect to the computer, so I'm using it manually for now in conjunction with my two Kessil A80s.

20220605_160541.jpg

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased these two frags that really caught my eye... I've always wanted a jack o lantern. Too bad I had to pay the JF premium. The other is a green slimer, but it looks much more vibrant (and smoother?) than others I've seen online

20220605_161133.jpg

20220605_161057.jpg

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also purchased another black storm on Friday. Not particularly happy with the quality of it, especially considering their price. It has a strange body shape and a hard time eating, with nowhere near enough black

20220605_161520.jpg

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have your strawberry crab? Mine drags a bunch of coral frags, shells and whatever he can get a hold of into his barnacle burrow whenever he molts.
Here's one you might like - I picked it up on Friday. It's called a red emerald crab, and it cost the same as a regular one, which genuinely surprised me. I do like the pink of the strawberry crab, as well as its shape, but if we're talking $15 vs $50, I'll take the red emerald lol

20220605_161825.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one you might like - I picked it up on Friday. It's called a red emerald crab, and it cost the same as a regular one, which genuinely surprised me. I do like the pink of the strawberry crab, as well as its shape, but if we're talking $15 vs $50, I'll take the red emerald lol

20220605_161825.jpg
I've read about the "red" version but I haven't actually seen one in-person. They look pretty cool, though.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read about the "red" version but I haven't actually seen one in-person. They look pretty cool, though.
From what I can tell they're the exact same as the green ones in behaviour and diet. I was surprised to find they also enjoy cyano, too.

I looked up strawberry crabs again to see if there was any chance of getting another, but it looks like they're from Hawaii so I'm probably SOL

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up strawberry crabs again to see if there was any chance of getting another, but it looks like they're from Hawaii so I'm probably SOL
Mine is still lurking in the tank somewhere (after a recent molt). He generally stays out of sight if it can be at all avoided, so we only see him periodically.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was waiting for the previous video to upload, I got a glimpse of my elusive green-spotted mandarin, who appears to have just come back from a sandy excursion

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about my clowns not pairing because they're a similar size, but they both still seem to be in the asexual stage. The one with more black (Lil Moo Moo) seems to be more dominant and will likely become the female.

Here they are after feeding, the one with less black (Harold) seems to have a hard time catching food in the water column so I use aquascaping tweezers to hold mysis/brine in place for him.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was waiting for the previous video to upload, I got a glimpse of my elusive green-spotted mandarin, who appears to have just come back from a sandy excursion.
Mine seems to make an appearance that coincides whenever food also makes an appearance, lol.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems to make an appearance that coincides whenever food also makes an appearance, lol.
I don't have the energy to train mine to eat pellets or frozen, but I have so much rock and a refugium that I really don't think I'll run out.

That being said, I do want to supplement the DT in case they don't naturally replenish fast enough in there. I ordered a jar and various supplies to continue growing the phytoplankton culture that I have. I wonder if it's possible to grow pods in there at the same time, or if I should have a separate jar and just dose it with the phyto that I grow.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the energy to train mine to eat pellets or frozen, but I have so much rock and a refugium that I really don't think I'll run out.

That being said, I do want to supplement the DT in case they don't naturally replenish fast enough in there. I ordered a jar and various supplies to continue growing the phytoplankton culture that I have. I wonder if it's possible to grow pods in there at the same time, or if I should have a separate jar and just dose it with the phyto that I grow.
My mandarin is wild caught, and I've trained him to eat calanus and brine shrimp so far. But I also have probably 200lbs+ of rock for copepods to grow in.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin is wild caught, and I've trained him to eat calanus and brine shrimp so far. But I also have probably 200lbs+ of rock for copepods to grow in.
Here's my fuge with chaeto where a lot of my pods grow, I can't remember how much rock I have in my tank but it's definitely over 150lbs. I followed the 2lbs/gallon guide + I got all the live rock from the previous owner of the Reefer

20220607_185534.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yasha goby and candy pistol pair :) following @blaxsun 's tip to use a colander, it's working really well so far

This was a show size - would you believe it?
If this is a show size I'd hate to see regular! Glad the colander is helping!

Dustinmicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beauty setup, I lived in Halifax for a bit but I'm back in Ontario now. Just started my saltwater setup a few weeks ago and I'm slowly acquiring goods, tank is still cycling so it's still up in the air how the little ocellaris in there will do but everything seems well so far. hopefully one day mine looks as nice as yours does

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a show size I'd hate to see regular! Glad the colander is helping!
It worked like a charm! I used it to acclimate my coral beauty as well - luckily my LFS uses the same salinity as I do so I dumped a pitcher full of tank water in with the bag water.

As for the shrimp and goby pair, they kind of went off and did their own things, the shrimp was tiny tiny so I hope the coral beauty didn't make it a snack, lol

The colander in my opinion was a success! Much better than chasing a fish around a bucket

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back