Too much of a good thing? - Social media and rampant misinformation.

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the vast majority of people I use social media. I use it to keep in touch with friends, family, and more recently to engage in discussions about my hobbies, primarily the reefing hobby.

It's become more and more apparent as time goes on, and small groups get larger that it feels like there is less and less "good" information posted in response to people asking questions, more often than not when I see someone ask a question, out of 10 responses 5+ of them will be the most terrible, misguided information I can think of. I understand what works for some might not work for others, but in a lot of these cases not only are these fired from the hip responses wildly inaccurate, but they also pose to do damage to peoples tanks, and their wallets.

Obviously, there is misinformation almost everywhere, but I feel like on a platform where you can get 10+ answers within minutes of making a post that the likely hood of good information floating to the top is buried below mounds of garbage.

Several of these larger groups are also under such heavy moderation that any sort of push back to peoples comments is deleted outright.

Am I alone in this sentiment?

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People now give opinion stated as a fact
Not sure what they get out of doing that

Back