Too much of a good thing? Tiny or Large? Many or Few?

Which do you prefer?

• A few LARGE, not as colorful less expensive, coral colonies filling your tank

Votes: 133 36.5%
  • A lot of TINY, but very colorful more expensive, frags covering the rock

Votes: 171 47.0%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 60 16.5%

• Total voters

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which do you prefer? A few LARGE, not as colorful and less expensive, coral colonies OR more TINY, but very colorful and more expensive, frags covering the rock?

2. Do you agree or disagree that you CAN have too many corals in your reef tank?

Cost/name doesn't mean much to me (within reason). My goal is to use form/color and how it fits into my tank as my deciding factor. I want to set up an aquascape and fill it with just enough that everything begins to grow in and minimize any coral warfare so everything gets a long nicely. That said, there are some prices for tiny pieces or even colonies I'll just pass on. I'm ok spending $30 on a frag I like but equally ok spending around $100 as well. Above that I'm going to have to reeeeally like it!

For me as long as they can all get along and thrive/grow then no you can't have too many.

I've managed to say what I want to say really poorly.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have too many corals in your reef aquarium?

I was talking to a local friend the other day, who is getting back in the hobby, and he stated that he wanted to choose a few corals and let them grow big instead of having a bunch of frags covering his rocks. So that got me thinking about the consensus of the community of hobbyists here at R2R and what your preferences are? But I wanted to dive a bit deeper and get a little more specific. More like less expensive and less colorful over more colorful but tiny and expensive. So answer the following if you will!

1. Which do you prefer? A few LARGE, not as colorful and less expensive, coral colonies OR more TINY, but very colorful and more expensive, frags covering the rock?

2. Do you agree or disagree that you CAN have too many corals in your reef tank?

@WWC beautiful tank store!
1GGjd51.jpg
I prefer lots of small frags. Watching them grow is at least half the fun of reefing.
Yes, you can ABSOLUTELY have too many corals. I’m not there yet, but it’s inevitable!

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
color and challenge is all that matters to me. I forget the corals names within days. I hardly frag so the actual value is meaningless to me.
Honestly I think all the name chasing is kinda silly but I admit its a large aspect of the hobby
I just buy stuff that I like. Like you, I’m not a fragger. It’s not about trying to recover money or find bargains (although if I can fet what I want on sale - BONUS). I’m striving for a beautiful, colorful, and stable tank. With the exception of stability, those thing are different for each of us.

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just starting and may get my first couple frags this weekend. so I said Other.

I'm leaning toward more, smaller, brighter. I've realized I really like ones with "action", anemones, anything with waving branches or "tentacles".

--Gray

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your longevity in the hobby. We always start out with tiny frags, and of course too many. Eventually some die, some grow, some get replaced. The longer your in the hobby the more colonies you tend to accumulate.

I prefer tiny frags and watching them grow, but you can most certainly have too many frags in a tank.

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reefing long enough to be disappointed with my tank overgrown with corals which I ultimately do not appreciate as much as I should. I'll admit it, I suffer from coral envy.

Seeing all the incrediblly colorful tanks full of nature's of the seas, I plan to have my next tank reserved for corals I really think are amazing, which of course, is limited by $$$. But the point is to GROW and enjoy them, isn't it?

It's so hard, though! This or that colony look so nice at the LFS and of course I'm basically impatient and want immediate gratification, too, and oops! Got another one.

Alexd330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer full grown colonies of colorful corals!

I enjoy watching corals grow and transition into what Mother Nature should have them become. Larger colonies are much more appealing to me but they tank time to grow.
Yes I agree. Watching them grow is the best and then you will have a lot of big colorful corals

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large, not colorful corals is a maintenance problem.
Small colorful frags is a potentially stunning tank.

Cost isn't part of the equation.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for other.

I like giant colonies of crazy expensive! Lol, just kidding. I like what I can get my hands on and what gives the tank a color balance. Usually I'll try and stay in a low budget but I also think that it's fun to get small colonies and see what thrives in my tank. So I think I would fall into a "cheap and small" category

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think of frags as seeds. You acquire the best seeds you can and try your best to visualize what your reef will look like when it grows out.

I’m not a fan of buying full sized colonies.

The challenge for me is to grow out your own colonies.

I also don’t like the look of a tank that has too many corals crammed everywhere. A reef tank is living art, not a holding vessel.

The first year or two, my vision of a reef tank, will have tiny frags strategically placed.

Yes, I believe so. That’s the beauty of a peninsula tank. You get two reefs in one.

To be aesthetically pleasing you have to be a bit snobbish when it comes to corals.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish?
So far a Maroon Clown and a Coral Beauty Angel in a 60g. Have plans to add a few more fish, species TBD. Maybe some Javanese Damsels and assorted other species..... Would love to have a Dragonet but don't think i can establish a pod population sufficient to keep up with its dietary demand....

Maroon Clown & Coral Beauty.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I am in the area of A few LARGE, not as colorful and less expensive, and coral colonies. As many are aware especially with my main tank, frags look like jelly beans based on my tank size. in which colonies make more sense for me.

There's Never enough coral in my book BUT. . One must be careful with coral placement and coral warfare where there is potantial for neighboring corals getting stung and damged or even killed.

This is an example of what I added just yesterday, , , makes more sense when adding coral:

1603763270550.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back