Too much of a good thing? Tiny or Large? Many or Few?

Which do you prefer?

• A few LARGE, not as colorful less expensive, coral colonies filling your tank

Votes: 133 36.5%
  • A lot of TINY, but very colorful more expensive, frags covering the rock

Votes: 171 47.0%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 60 16.5%

• Total voters

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far a Maroon Clown and a Coral Beauty Angel in a 60g. Have plans to add a few more fish, species TBD. Maybe some Javanese Damsels and assorted other species..... Would love to have a Dragonet but don't think i can establish a pod population sufficient to keep up with its dietary demand....

Maroon Clown & Coral Beauty.JPG
Beauties,

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d prefer several larger more colorful and valuable corals. I don’t feel like either choice above suits my goals. Hate tiny frags, hate drab looking stuff too

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "other"
I don't really like the look of a lot of tiny frags all over the display. Makes it look like a mud cake with sprinkles all over it.
All the frags look great individually but look haphazard in the display as a whole.

Large dull colonies don't interest me either. Color is needed. Variety is needed. Big and blah ain't cool.

I prefer a combination. Medium sized to larger sized colorful colonies along with smaller well placed frags.

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is up to the person on what their plan is.I vote other because so many things can factor in on the approch the amount of funds and also the look you want.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which do you prefer? A few LARGE, not as colorful and less expensive, coral colonies OR more TINY, but very colorful and more expensive, frags covering the rock?
2. Do you agree or disagree that you CAN have too many corals in your reef tank?

I prefer other. I agree that part of the fun of having a tank is watching things grow. So I will go for tiny but INEXPENSIVE frags all day long. I don't have a ton of $ and I am not trying to impress anyone with my tank so I try and stick with that. I do feel that you can have too many corals but that works itself out in the long run with the chem warfare that happens naturally. Basically, I think like anything else in life, do what you want with your tank and as long as it makes you happy and isn't causing anyone else any grief you are golden.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which do you prefer? A few LARGE, not as colorful and less expensive, coral colonies OR more TINY, but very colorful and more expensive, frags covering the rock?

I would prefer less coral but multi color/ much more colorful. To be completely honest, I want many many many large colorful corals filling my tank....but thats an answer for your second question.

2. Do you agree or disagree that you CAN have too many corals in your reef tank?

Yes, I do agree. However, the answer is in the “eye...er... tank of the beholder”. What I think maybe too many may not be for someone else, or what I think is not enough may be overkill for someone else’s tank.

But let’s be real, at some point, no matter how big you tank is, it could definitely get to the point of too much. Corals grow after all... if only there was some way of maintaining the coral at a manageable size. Well FRAG, I can’t think of any way to do that....

klsutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost/name doesn't mean much to me (within reason). My goal is to use form/color and how it fits into my tank as my deciding factor. I want to set up an aquascape and fill it with just enough that everything begins to grow in and minimize any coral warfare so everything gets a long nicely. That said, there are some prices for tiny pieces or even colonies I'll just pass on. I'm ok spending $30 on a frag I like but equally ok spending around $100 as well. Above that I'm going to have to reeeeally like it!

For me as long as they can all get along and thrive/grow then no you can't have too many.

I've managed to say what I want to say really poorly.
I like to have a little bit of a mixture between small expensive coral in the middle of the tank and large flowing coral around bare areas. My tank is colorful but I think I have too many fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Seems to me that small colonies turn into 'large colonies'
2. Both large and small colonies/frags can be 'colorful'

I always wonder what people are planning to do when they have a tank with 20 frags in each square foot of space? Do people just keep trimming them back? Or are they not growing?

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have a little bit of a mixture between small expensive coral in the middle of the tank and large flowing coral around bare areas. My tank is colorful but I think I have too many fish.

Is that even possible???? ;)

I like a fish heavy system. I guess there is a balance to be had though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back