Too Old To Reef: How long do you expect to be in the hobby and will older age dictate when you break your tanks down for good?

How old do you think you'll be before you are too old to care for a reef tank?

• 50-60

Votes: 27 2.8%
  • 61-70

Votes: 79 8.1%
  • 71-80

Votes: 202 20.7%
  • 81-90

Votes: 129 13.2%
  • 90+

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • I'll reef until I die

Votes: 498 51.0%

• Total voters

wallyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started reefing again at 67 after a 35 year layoff to raise kids and work. See no reason to stop unless I am physically unable.

Sabbath22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back into saltwater after about twenty years. Reason I got back into it was early retirement at 62. Last day at work was Dec. 31,2018. On Jan. 9,2019 I had a heart attack,no warning. Thank goodness I still had insurance from work,other wise that would have been a 100,000 bill.First time ever in a hospital! I was really bummed out about it, with the why did this happen to me and sitting around doing nothing. I felt like I could,nt do anything and any little pain would scare me! My wife told me if I did,nt start moving I was going to die. I think she was right so I got up and started back on the aquariums. Got my self out of this funk I was in! I have 5 fresh water and 1 saltwater aquarium to take care of and keep me busy. And when those 5 gal. buckets get to heavy, I,ll go to 2 gal. and then 1 gal. I think what I,ve learned from this is no matter what life throws your way, you got to get up and throw it right back!!

Randy Ruiz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes health also is a big factor. As long as I am able to lift 5 gal replacement jugs for top off. Another factor is will.i be able to afford it once I retire? I expect.to retire in about 7 yrs. We'll see what happens. Maybe I will just not be able to spend much on new fish/corals & keep what I have going.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll include my fish in my will so that I'll still be reefing after I'm dead and gone. :cool:

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can still lift a 5 gallon bucket(onto the sump that is)for a water change I'm old enough now to apply for social security benefits but I'm trying to wait a few years so that I can get the maximum benefit to be able to continue to afford this hobby.

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, I just hit the wrong key on my computer and didn't complete post. More and more senior moments happening. I think I'll just get the get plastic floating fish with the weighted string, soon I won't be able to tell the difference , that way I can keep the tank forever.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back