Too Old To Reef: How long do you expect to be in the hobby and will older age dictate when you break your tanks down for good?

How old do you think you'll be before you are too old to care for a reef tank?

• 50-60

Votes: 27 2.8%
  • 61-70

Votes: 79 8.1%
  • 71-80

Votes: 202 20.7%
  • 81-90

Votes: 129 13.2%
  • 90+

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • I'll reef until I die

Votes: 498 51.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many reasons why people have to give up their reef tanks. But I've seen countless members say they will always have a reef tank in their life. That being said there will come a time when they might not be able to care for a reef anymore due to age. So let's talk about that for today.

How long do you expect to be in the hobby and will older age dictate when you break your tanks down for good?

image via @ChristopherKriens
reefsavvy-4.jpg

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded from my 40, to my 220 I had some requirements and demands I made of my family. 1, I was going to die in my current home, I have no plans to move, upgrade, etc, this tank was going to be it. 2 setup this new tank so that maintenance would be as easy as possible, actually its enjoyable for me, taking into account, my old butt walking down easy to access stairs, dealing with a sump at chest level, organized equipment, accessible tools, all so that when I'm that old, I can still do it, none of this 'kneeling under the stand' nonsense for me. If you want to reef for a long time, then plan so its possible.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were going to get out at 50 I'd have to start selling things pretty darn soon!

I suspect that I will have a reef tank until death, even if I have to pay someone to do anything beyond the regular maintenance.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started FW when I was 10, Salt at 31 and I am now 59 so when they pry that glass hydrometer from my cold dead hands? What else am I going to do when I retire, I don't play golf. My new 310 is 8' so my wife can use it for a casket and save some money?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you really alive if you don't have a reef tank anymore?
I hope I can keep mine forever. If I can afford to I will have people service them when it becomes too much, unless robot service techs are around in which case I'll use them.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how one “Reef’s”
This year I am removing a “reef” aquarium from the living room and moving my “reef” interest’s to the garage. As I am now retired I can devote more time to areas of the hobby that interest me. A Display Reef doesn’t interest me any more have kept one 40 years now. I am more into breeding of corals and inverts learning the hows and whys. Life is a journey and there are many twist’s and turns.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer for life here as well. Both salt and fresh since stands came with bell bottoms :D

PS. I'm 52. I better not see any of you younger keepers pick that 50-60 option or I will come over and challenge you to a pushup contest...
LOL! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Health has more to do with it than age. I have seen 90 year olds independently living at home with all their wits that go to the gym and don't even need a cane and I have seen 60 year olds in and out of the hospital and rehab.

The money starts disappearing with your health if you are in scenario two as the medical bills roll in.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solidly middle aged here, but my clan is not long-lived.

When the day comes, I plan to die suddenly and painlessly.. lol.
We're also blessed to live in an area with many reefers. I can go right up to the end knowing that wife just has to make a phone call to donate my critters.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back