Too soon to add Rock flower Anemone?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had my 32 gal. tank up for 2 months, and the parameters and salinity have not been fluctuating, and are not perfect, but are very near perfect.
I have 1 fish, CUC inverts, and a serpent star, all of which are doing great.
No algae surprisingly. Could I add a rock flower anemone to my tank? I have heard they are very hardy, but if it is too early to add it then I understand.
And when I do at some point add it, should I dip it? I have a coral dip that is not too strong, but will definitely do the job, and works for anemones, just checking if that is always recommended.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article should help you! @Crabs McJones did a wonderful job on this article helps a lot!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every specialty area on this board will tell you that their animals are the most sensitive and hard to keep, and you should wait forever - even the zooanthid and mushroom people.

Some of the larger anemones are very sensitive, but most of the smaller ones are very hardy. I've kept a lot of BTAs, and found them to be very hardy - much more so than most corals (especially stonies).

For a decade plus, rock flower anemones were basically Florida rock hitchhikers in this hobby. People started tanks with them. They generally did fine.

I like adding anemones early - in my experience, they do well, and they get their moving around out of the way before there's anything else to kill.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I actually got a Zoanthid 2 days ago, and it started opening within 5-10 mins, and all the polyps have opened, and it looks great. I'm definitely going to get a rock flower very soon, and possibly a Ricordea.
I definitely thought of that, (adding the anemones early), in my head I was thinking that I did not want to wait too long to add an anemone, even though rock flowers don't move as much, and have them stinging some corals.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back