Took tank off someone's hands... what do I have here?

MantaRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Beginner here in search of some much-needed advice. I got this tank super last minute from someone moving out of the country today. It was her ex-roommate's so she doesn't know anything about the setup. I have freshwater tanks but never saltwater, so I need help! I'm not even sure what I have on my hands. There's 2 clown fish, a small heater, lights, something for circulation, rocks (?) and 2 unidentified pipes or filters in the corners. She had the whole thing unplugged and half of the water set aside for a day, so I'm sure the fish aren't pleased.

Can anyone please give me some quick advice for the next few days while I do some in-depth research? Is this setup adequate? I'm really not sure what the pipes in the corners are doing; everything else has to be plugged in except those. She gave me 2 small tubular lights which I have turned off and one big LED strip that I have on. So what can I do within the next few days to ensure the well-being of the aquarium and fish? Planning on doing some heavy reading but I could use help in the meantime. Hugely grateful for any guidance!

TL;DR, got tank from someone moving out of the country and kindly ask for feedback on setup and advice to keep these guys alive while I do more research

20170803_011806.jpg
20170803_011816.jpg 20170803_011936.jpg 20170803_011944.jpg 20170803_011849.jpg

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I would do, is get to your local aquarium store and buy some pre-made saltwater and do a water change. Well it looks like you need to add water also!

Girthrockwel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of filtration is there? Is it running? The clowns are pretty hardy so they'll handle a little funkiness. You just want to make sure the ammonia isn't creeping up. Hence the suggestion to get some saltwater from a fish store. Change out some of that water and add back what's missing.

OP
OP
M

MantaRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of filtration is there? Is it running? The clowns are pretty hardy so they'll handle a little funkiness. You just want to make sure the ammonia isn't creeping up. Hence the suggestion to get some saltwater from a fish store. Change out some of that water and add back what's missing.
Thank you!! I'm ~guessing~ those 2 tube contraptions in the corners are filters but I've not a clue.

Girthrockwel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I'm ~guessing~ those 2 tube contraptions in the corners are filters but I've not a clue.

Do they run down to a sump or a canister filter? If so can you post some pictures of what's under the tank?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a FOWLR tank (fish only with live rock), theres no coral in it. Some live rock (those pink/purple rocks) and some nuisance hair algae (green stuff) on it.
- Do 2-3 gallong water change at least. Make sure the temperature is same.
- Get a hang on back filter like AquaClear 30, with a pack of chemipure elite and run it.
- Give the fishes food (once every alternate day)
... let us know your plans with this tank , we can help accordingly, ... welcome to r2r :)

macnets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re also gonna need some basic stuff to make sure everything is in check.

Refractometer (to measure salinity needs to be 1.024-1.026)
Thermometer (temp needs to be 78-80)
Test kits (high nitrates and high phosphate are what is causing hair algae.)

Clean the glass, clean the powerheads, and start plucking the algae!

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important: make sure your salinity levels are in check. As water evaporates the salimity level rises

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy an emerald crab it should eat all the hair algae and give you a much cleaner looming tank. Watch 52 weeks of BRS TV on YouTube. It will give you all the essentials

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, you want to keep the salinity stable. The best way to measure it is a refractometer about $30.

The ocean is big. Being large, seawater is very stable. Marine organisms don't handle rapid changes well. Many people use an auto top off to add RODI water to the tank to offset evaporation. RODI means reverse osmosis deionization. Tap water is run through an RO membrane and then deionization resin to yield virtually pure water. You can buy a system to make your own or you can buy it at your local fish store.

Most hobbiests track nitrate levels in the tank. There are test kits for that. High nitrates will promote rapid and unsightly algae growth.

If you start raising hard corals in your tank, you will need to track magnesium, alkalinity and calcium levels as well as having high intensity lighting.

As you can see, the hobby can become pretty complex.

To run a fish only system, you can do pretty well by just toping off your tank regularly and doing partial water changes on a regular basis.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back