Top 10 Things Every Reefer Should Know! What would you add?

How much do you think you know when it comes to reefing percentage wise?

• 0 - 10%

Votes: 88 11.7%
  • 10% - 25%

Votes: 207 27.6%
  • 26% - 50%

Votes: 179 23.9%
  • 51% - 75%

Votes: 219 29.2%
  • 76% - 99%

Votes: 53 7.1%
  • 100% Know It All

Votes: 4 0.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's so much to know and learn in this hobby and it can almost be overwhelming! But there are some basic, core things that every hobbyists should know! I thought it might be fun to try to narrow it down to the 10 Top things you should know! So for the question today why don't you help us do just that!

What is something that every saltwater reef aquarium hobbyist should know that should be included in the TOP 10?

top-10-1500x1000.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1) Use RODI water only...and be sure to add salt
2) All fish are jumpers...except that one that you wish you'd never bought... he'll be in there staring at you everytime you walk by the tank for the rest of your life.
3) Vacations are the number one cause of tank crashes
4) Cheaping out on equipment leads to house fires
5) LEDs are THE BEST form of reef lighting...or was it MH? ...or maybe T5...?
6) Anything desirable in your tank can die due to minor fluctuations in stability...
7) Anything undesirable in your tank (aiptasia, dinos, cyano, flat worms, ich, asterina stars, or pretty much any other pest...) will survive a nuclear holocaust, Darla, the zombie apocalypse, and outlive your great-grandchildren
8) Rev updates his build thread once a year
9) If you're adding 1 last fish to your stocked tank, it will either carry disease, eat things you don't want it to, or die within 48 hours
10) Ask 10 reefers a question, and you'll get 17 opinions. :cool:

Emon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always plan to leave room and additional outlets for future technologies that will come out.
I feel the number one thing every reefer should do is be humble and be willing to listen and ask for advice since this hobby is always evolving and that every tank is different. The only way u will be successful is to learn and be flexible with new ideas

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2) All fish are jumpers...except that one that you wish you'd never bought... he'll be in there staring at you everytime you walk by the tank for the rest of your life.
6) Anything desirable in your tank can die due to minor fluctuations in stability...
7) Anything undesirable in your tank (aiptasia, dinos, cyano, flat worms, ich, asterina stars, or pretty much any other pest...) will survive a nuclear holocaust, Darla, the zombie apocalypse, and outlive your great-grandchildren
9) If you're adding 1 last fish to your stocked tank, it will either carry disease, eat things you don't want it to, or die within 48 hours
Some of the best advice I've seen

Emon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also get in the habit of learning ur tank and testing, the only person that can truly make ur tank a piece of the reef is you. It’s always better to see what’s happening and realize somethings wrong than having no clue and ask for help, at that point u will need more than just advice

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test, and test (or observe) often. If you are not measuring it you are not managing it.

This goes beyond water chemistry . Flow, temperature, evaporation rate, food consumption, skimmate production, lighting duration and intensity, etc. are all things you should be cognizant of.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say "Another Reefer"
Having someone in the hobby that is a friend near you can be invaluable IMO. It's someone who can help with big projects, watch your tank if you're away, and trade stuff with. Having friends on R2R is great, but someone local to you, I feel, is a great advantage.
Edit: I suppose I should put the other 9 on here too lol
2.) RODI water is a must
3.)Appropriate Parameters
4.)Lighting Choice
5.)Placement Of Tank. Not just where it looks good, but where it can stay permanently and be easily accessed for maintenence.
6.) QT Everything
7.) Spare parts on hand. Have an extra heater and return pump on hand in the event your primary fails
8.)NEVER be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one you havent asked yet.
9.)coral placement. Research requirements of the coral before purchasing. Too many times I've seen low light corals placed high and directly under the light because the person didnt know it was a low light coral
10.) Dont cheap out on test kits. Knowing your tanks exact parameter can be essential for success.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Classic! This needs to be a wall poster!!!

Wakbrdgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to print this and hang it in my shop

Back