Top of diy stand not flat on ends.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am building a diy stand for my 50g lowboy. The stand is 48x24. The 48 inch sides are perfectly flush with the tank but the 24 inch sides has maybe a millimeter gap between the wood and the tanks black frame. What is the best way to remedy this? I was thinking between a top made of plywood or a Styrofoam cutout that goes between the stand and tank.
Either way how thick should the plywood/foam be?
Other ideas?

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just put plywood and shim the sides a with some about 1mm thick.

The other option you could do would be to plane the 48” sections so they’re level with the smaller edges.

Is that tank a rimmed tank? If it is I wouldn’t use foam products under it. I haven’t seen any evidence of this but people say that the pressure on the edges pushes the styrofoam to put a lot of pressure in the middle of the tank. You should really just do a bit of work to level the stand and trust the rim to do what it’s designed to do.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just put plywood and shim the sides a with some about 1mm thick.

The other option you could do would be to plane the 48” sections so they’re level with the smaller edges.

Is that tank a rimmed tank? If it is I wouldn’t use foam products under it. I haven’t seen any evidence of this but people say that the pressure on the edges pushes the styrofoam to put a lot of pressure in the middle of the tank. You should really just do a bit of work to level the stand and trust the rim to do what it’s designed to do.
It is rimmed. Its the zoomed 50g lowboy

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question (the stand is still being built i still need a frame on the bottom and actual load bearing beams) should i add middle legs or just do the corners?

20200711_221819.jpg

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question (the stand is still being built i still need a frame on the bottom and actual load bearing beams) should i add middle legs or just do the corners?

20200711_221819.jpg
You can just do the corners with 2x4s. If you want extra support for peace of mind you can add middle braces it just restricts access to the bottom.

I think the generally consensus is that tanks under 6’ can just use 2x4 corner braces without issue.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200711_221819.jpg
are you building the stand in a garage? if you are most garages are sloped so dont worry about trying to build it level just make sure its all square. if you build it level while sitting on a unlevel floor once its on a flat surface the stand will match what the unlevel floor is doing.

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you building the stand in a garage? if you are most garages are sloped so dont worry about trying to build it level just make sure its all square. if you build it level while sitting on a unlevel floor once its on a flat surface the stand will match what the unlevel floor is doing.
Sure. If you want to be semantic it’s not “level” but he does need to make them flat.

He does need to fix this regardless where the stand is going because the side piece is attached in position. You can’t just shim up a corner and it’ll be supporting the tank.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider doing vertical 2x4's on each side of each corner "rocket engineer stand" style. Since each of those 8 pieces will be the same length, and each of the top pieces will contact 2 of them, you'll have a much easier time getting the size pieces to match the height of the other two top frame pieces.

Hope that makes sense

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It never hurts to make your stand a Solid "SAFE", long term reliable/durable as can be.

LEVEL "FLAT" TOP IS *** EXTREMLY IMPORTANT ** Where Tank/Trim sits on.
Glasss doesn't bend. Under stress it cracks or seams go ** Maybe not day 1, or year one, but can eventually.

Last edited:

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is strong in compression, not tension. Most tanks only need to be supported on the ends and if the ends are not supported, there is a good chance the tank will crack. There are lots of options how to correct it, but I would definitely make sure there are no gaps on the ends.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement. The tank will be in the basement as well

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. If you want to be semantic it’s not “level” but he does need to make them flat.

He does need to fix this regardless where the stand is going because the side piece is attached in position. You can’t just shim up a corner and it’ll be supporting the tank.
Did you reply to the wrong person

[/QUOTE

did I say anything about shimming up a corner???
I may have confused you and probably a few more with my post. So when you build a stand you make sure all corners that come into 90 degrees are square. Yes if you put a level on it while it’s on a unlevel surface it’s not going to be level but once moved into the house and put on a level surface it will be level.
What you are doing by just building it square is you’re building it to the surface it sits on.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement. The tank will be in the basement as well
Have you thrown a level on your basement floor to check if it sloped there are a quite a few basements that are sloped. But if it’s not You build it level since tabk will be in there as well.
So check the area the tank is going to go for level if it’s level awesome when you put the bottom on just level it up and screw away. If it’s not level then what you’re going to want to do is get the stand where it’s going to sit flip it around so your 2x4 are sticking up then put the base on the top and you can level that accordingly. Once it’s level get a measurement between your top and bottom frames and cut 2x4 to wedge in there. That will give it the structural support needed.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thrown a level on your basement floor to check if it sloped there are a quite a few basements that are sloped. But if it’s not You build it level since tabk will be in there as well.
So check the area the tank is going to go for level if it’s level awesome when you put the bottom on just level it up and screw away. If it’s not level then what you’re going to want to do is get the stand where it’s going to sit flip it around so your 2x4 are sticking up then put the base on the top and you can level that accordingly. Once it’s level get a measurement between your top and bottom frames and cut 2x4 to wedge in there. That will give it the structural support needed.
Nowhere in the basement is level unfortunatley. What is the best way to combat that?

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a quicker fix is to run to local hardware store and buy some 2”x2” angle iron and some composite Burke shims and you can shim the stand up at each vertical stud

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a quicker fix is to run to local hardware store and buy some 2”x2” angle iron and some composite Burke shims and you can shim the stand up at each vertical stud

mid the floor is that out of wack I suggest doing this method honestly. So when you put shims on for good measure do your corners and every stud then a set in middle of each set of studs. When you get the Burke shims make sure they are composite and the flat ones.Maybe get 3 bundles which will include 1/4 1/8 and 1/16 inch shims. If you just use wood and no angle iron it will hold for awhile but as time goes on the shims will very slowly dig into the wood causing it to become unlevel.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is built. I was able to level it pretty good however on one corner of the tank there is a gap of a millimeter or 2. I put a yoga matt under it to combat this and there is a very small amount of light coming from that side now. Should i fill it up and see if the yoga matt makes it level? How long should I keep it full of water before proceeding

20200712_170514.jpg 20200712_170505.jpg 20200712_170459.jpg

Back