Top salt mixes for nano tanks Softies and LPS

Fleshtickled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all this is my first post here was searching for top salts and everything seems to go towards SPS for the better salts.
Fluval evo 13.5 is the tank and I’ve been using fritz rpm reef mix in the smaller black bag. Recommended to me by my LFS but I feel like It just might be a generic salt seeing how much it’s pushed on YouTube and other social medias. Was wondering if there could be any other salt mix that’s more beneficial for what I’ve got. Appreciate any feedback from y’all!

EF123A41-66E9-4330-B814-03C6F3D7AE99.jpeg

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest any salt mix out there is good and can be used by anyone. You just have to decide on which salt parameters suit your tank, maintenance schedule, and budget the best. Its best to decide what you want to run your alkalinity and calcium at, see which salt is at that range and part of that budget. This way you wont have to dose anything extra or worry about parameters all over the place if you do a weekly or bi weekly water change for the size tank you have.

Like for my IM 10 Gallon that is mostly lps, which consume a good amount of alkalinity and calcium, I just go with Reef crystals since the levels out of the bucket are decently high which means after a weekly water change I almost never dose anything. Not to mention it is cheap and easy to mix.

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon mixed reef, loaded with LPS and softies, has been running for about a year. My hammers have tripled in size, my candy canes started with two heads and are now a colony the size of a softball etc. I use good ol classic Reef Crystals, it’s cheap and consist. The most important thing with nano reefs is to keep up with consistent water changes. In my opinion salt is salt, all name brands perform well. Choose one that best matches the parameters you strive for. I keep my alk and calcium on the higher side, so RC work for me. I’ve tried Red Sea Pro Reef (black bucket), it mixed the same as the RC, I saw no difference other than the price tag being higher, so I’m back to RC. Tropic Marin synthetic has always been seen as superior, but recently they’ve had a facility manufacturing crisis with COVID that crashed a lot of peoples reef, predominantly SPS dominant.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like (and use) the Fritz RPM black bags that you're already using.
Not much price difference from regular Instant Ocean and, personally, I like the Fritz parameters better (at least on paper).
***switched a few months ago and honestly see no difference but I "feel" better about it for some reason

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back