Topic of the Week - Easiest & Hardest SPS

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reviving the "Topic of the Week" that I started a while back.

This week's Topic is SPS - Easiest and Hardest.

I am still a noob when it comes to SPS, but having good luck with it so far.

I've been told by several that Birdsnest are a hardy SPS and a good indicator as to whether you can keep other "harder" SPS.
I have had the opposite luck. I seem to always kill Birdsnest while my Tri-color Valida and Green Pocillipora as well as some montis seem to be doing wonderfully.

What are your experiences? And what would you say your easiest to care for/grow and hardest to care for/grow SPS are?

GO!:bigsmile:

DarkTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a nice size birdsnest to try out. Wish me luck!

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink birdsnest has been by far the easiest and fastest growing for me all under LED's, pocillipora a close second, and montis after that. My toughest have been spathulata coral, twice they went south on me almost instantly. My tank is much more stable now, but still not ready to take another plunge yet.

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birds nest and stylo's seem to be easy to keep. I also am an SPS noob..... I still prefer LPS

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longtime SPS keeper - easiest I have found, in no particular order, green slimer, green pocillopora, green birdsnest and pink birdsnest. Plating montis are also easy, though they do have a habit of dieing off suddenly for no apparent reason.

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange branching monti... Couldn't kill it if you tried or had it laying in the sand for a year

Once I started getting great growth here I ventured into the more pretty stuff and now I'm a full on acro snob

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only two SPS I have had luck with are green slimer and green birdsnest. Nothing else seems to grow much.

KRAZE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poccilipora is definitely one of the easiet sps species, along with monti digis and caps. Everyones tank is different tho too, birdsnest has given me more trouble than Hawkins echinata! The strain of red planet I have is rediculosly hardy (ask gmate lol) and oh yeah munchie, Chris' stag is pretty tough.

GobyWanKenobie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with all of them except a sour apple birdsnet or it could be a cats paw. Poccilipora, stylos and pavona work for me. Everything else is hit or miss. A piece can look good for a few months then all of a sudden take a hit. As soon as I think a piece is looking really good, it goes south. SPS is very frustrating.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back