Topping off with alkaline water.....

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the last 2 months "my new job" building water purification systems and alkaline machines has got me thinking.....
I have learned more than I ever want to know about water haha.... Anyways these vending machines I build now are alkaline water the next big thing... I can adjust the ph level from 7 to 11 with a simple turn of a valve... All they are is a basic ro unit with a alkaline cartridge at the end that water passes through and raises the ph for healthier, tastier water.... Anyways I'm thinking about adding one of these alk cartridges to my rodi unit and having buffered water for top off.... I evap a lot of water so I think this could help tremendously with low ph problems and not using powdered buffers.... I top off with kalk as it is... Any thoughts????

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be onto something Lee. Definitely. I assume the stuff you're building is like the "kangen" water type machine?

guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have the next big thing for tanks and to corrct the PH issues!! What is the $$ and how dose it compare in the long run to the powders and Kalk??? If it is good I want in LOL.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a alkaline cartridge placed inline before it dispenses... I run my machines at 9.0 ph and it's some tasty water haha... If you buy a single cartridge I hear there $175 but if I buy in bulk the price drops considerably... Hmmmm I'm gonna give it a shot and see what happens.. I can have a barrel of rodi water with any ph I want from 7 to 11 without buffering or doing anything...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick picture... Your city water comes in and hits the prefilters 10 micron, 5 micron, and carbon block... From there it hits a ro membrane and then tees off to a alkaline cartridge "the one laying horizontal on top in the picture.. Now I have 2 hoses a pure ro water and the hose coming off the cartridge 11.0 ph... I can turn the ro valve off and have straight alk water 11.0 or blend them like 75% ro and 25% alkaline gives me a ph around 8.5..
88d07bb7.jpg

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome how long does a cartridge last? I can see how it will help maintain ph if you have a low ph tank.

I don't think it will replace dosing though but will help. As I think for dosing the alk needs to be up around 30 I know in a ca rx that is what is measured out the effluent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iirc up to 10,000gallons... It really depends how much you use it thou... Obviously a lower ph will give you longer life, higher ph low life..:
That's awesome how long does a cartridge last? I can see how it will help maintain ph if you have a low ph tank.

I don't think it will replace dosing though but will help. As I think for dosing the alk needs to be up around 30 I know in a ca rx that is what is measured out the effluent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only potential problems I see with it are if the ones you have been working with are like the one in the link above, it contains copper that could potentially enter the water and harm inverts. Under what conditions/concentrations this becomes problematic I don't know, but it's something to keep in mind. Also, the ceramics may contain phosphates that could leach out and promote algal blooms. Definitely something worth trying, but on a small scale first, and then move up to a display tank.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually this whole system I use is plastic or stainless steel.. I can't use copper or brass etc because ro water will eat it and leach lead... Arrrr hours of schooling on these machines and the water haha...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should buy stock in John guest lol... All my plumbing is done with this...I wouldn't have the metal storage tank, it's just a pressurized bladder.. Mine will feed directly into my 50gal plastic barrel...
dc15d9da.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually this whole system I use is plastic or stainless steel.. I can't use copper or brass etc because ro water will eat it and leach lead... Arrrr hours of schooling on these machines and the water haha...

It's only plastic and stainless in the alkaline cartridge? What's increasing the alkalinity of the water? On the link above they have a page that shows a cutaway of the cartridge that shows 10 stages, one with copper, and a couple with some ceramics.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I do not know.. Good point... Hmm I'll have do a little research on it... Worst case I could put the alkaline before the ro membrane but it will shorten the life I would expect... I wander if the ro will strip away all the alk??? This is why I posted I knew some chemistry gurus would chime in....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back