Torch coral bleaching and tissue recession. Do they ever come back ?

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month ago i had a mini crash in my 135 gallon. I waited too long before water changes and my tank used up whatever its using and about 6 sps started bleaching or doing stn.

My beautiful green torch coral also bleached and its tentacles have been thin too. Im not sure what it is in ny tank my corals are using up. But it isnt magnesium or alk or calcium as i dose those. It must be something i dont test for like strontium or all the other macro nutrients.

It isnt nitrates or anything else that builds up. I went 4 weeks without a water change. And thats why it happened. Its happened once before after about 3-4 weeks.

My hawkins acropora was stning and i lost half the coral. Seasons greetings, reverse superman, and my plating montis bleached too. Oddly other acros didnt suffer.

Anyway. I did a 70% water change. And the downhill spiral stopped. I did a 40% water change about a week ago. Its been about 3 weeks in total now. The hawkings is regrowing. The superman its about 90% back, the plating montis came back. But my seasons greetings is still very pale it hasnt recovered at all.

And my green torchcisnt looking better either. As i said its went almost translucent. Its green still but a clear green. And the tentacles are like angel hair pasta. I noticed the tissue that goes way down the skeleton is starting to receed a little too.

As you can see in the pic the dark patchs are where tissue used to be. Is this torch coral going to die a slow death over many months ? Or will it recover. Do torchs recover really really slowely or what ? My other purple torch is doing fine and its thick bushy and i see no tissue recession.

Thanks. Oh and it does get bigger than this pic. I just turned ny lights on 30 min ago so it isnt always shkrunched in like this. But yea. I circled where its receeded.
20201009_140922.jpg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding newly exposed skeleton will be white, hard to tell from pics but base looks nice and dark to me, and edges don't show a bright white... at least from what I can see in the pic.

Although the upper area that is circled I have not seen a gap above the edge of the tissue before.

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i thought but that dark area im 1000% positive used to be flesh. Now its receeded back and dark where it used to be. which is odd.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i thought but that dark area im 1000% positive used to be flesh. Now its receeded back and dark where it used to be. which is odd.
Do those dark patches appear brown under white light? It's hard to tell from the pic what's actually there

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those dark patches appear brown under white light? It's hard to tell from the pic what's actually there

It isnt brown slime. Just brown skeleton it looks like. I tried touching it and cleaning it with a tooth brush too see if it was like slimy and no

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back