torch coral dead and soft corals not opening

cubeguy11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

yesterday I got back from a one week vacation, my torch coral was dead and my soft corals were closed up. About a week before the vacation I got a peppermint shrimp, a blue tux urchin, and a rainbow bubble tip. I have heard that anemones can sting corals so this may be the case, if so will my soft corals open up? I have also noticed that there were a lot of pineapple sponges in my filter system so there is likely a lot of nutrients in the water right now. This could also be from the tux urchin as it has been eating a lot of algae and I had an algae problem before getting it. I should also note that about a month ago some flatworms almost killed my torch coral however after a coral dip it fully recovered, although I don’t see any evidence of flatworms right now. I also had my lawnmower blenny suddenly unexpectedly die about 2 weeks ago.
I also have a favia that I keep about an inch away from the torch however it is very small and was taken over by algae for about a month and is now barely hanging on with 1 polyp so I’m not sure if it could have stung it.

TLDR: my torch coral died and my soft corals are closed up it may be my new anemone but I’m not sure.

images below:

29D3396A-80EE-485F-ABF0-2A74C5C34E3E.jpeg 51AB250C-A22B-4435-BD5D-27F1AF96F90C.jpeg 1BB8D289-5000-46AC-A017-039E9D1410DF.jpeg FACA2B8C-65B7-4A73-BEE4-FAAACEA7CEB1.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendation #1

Ditch the api kit and get salifert kit.

Buy alk, cal, mag and nitrATE kits from them.
For phosphate get a red sea pro kit.

Recommendation #2

Get a tropic marin high precision hydrometer (cheapest of the most accurate tools) so you know your true salinity.

Then let us know what your parameters are.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with saltyreef here, put the api in the trash where it belongs. Red sea pro and salifert are both great, I prefer the red sea alkalinity test as it is only one reagent, but either will work for pretty much anything
I use hanna for ULR Phosphate test as I find color tests for phosphate to be too inaccurate

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

yesterday I got back from a one week vacation, my torch coral was dead and my soft corals were closed up. About a week before the vacation I got a peppermint shrimp, a blue tux urchin, and a rainbow bubble tip. I have heard that anemones can sting corals so this may be the case, if so will my soft corals open up? I have also noticed that there were a lot of pineapple sponges in my filter system so there is likely a lot of nutrients in the water right now. This could also be from the tux urchin as it has been eating a lot of algae and I had an algae problem before getting it. I should also note that about a month ago some flatworms almost killed my torch coral however after a coral dip it fully recovered, although I don’t see any evidence of flatworms right now. I also had my lawnmower blenny suddenly unexpectedly die about 2 weeks ago.
I also have a favia that I keep about an inch away from the torch however it is very small and was taken over by algae for about a month and is now barely hanging on with 1 polyp so I’m not sure if it could have stung it.

TLDR: my torch coral died and my soft corals are closed up it may be my new anemone but I’m not sure.

images below:

29D3396A-80EE-485F-ABF0-2A74C5C34E3E.jpeg 51AB250C-A22B-4435-BD5D-27F1AF96F90C.jpeg 1BB8D289-5000-46AC-A017-039E9D1410DF.jpeg FACA2B8C-65B7-4A73-BEE4-FAAACEA7CEB1.jpeg
Hard to tell given that the issues could have started at any point while you were away, or even prior to that. You mentioned FW, it’s possible they could have made a comeback and wiped out the torch. Also could be something like BJD which can spread to other softies. Lastly it seems you have quite a few aggressive coral types plus an anemone in close proximity. Could be chemical warfare. Do you run activated carbon? How big is your tank?

And I agree with ditching the API test kits. They aren’t accurate or reliable enough when you get serious in the hobby!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with saltyreef here, put the api in the trash where it belongs. Red sea pro and salifert are both great, I prefer the red sea alkalinity test as it is only one reagent, but either will work for pretty much anything
I use hanna for ULR Phosphate test as I find color tests for phosphate to be too inaccurate
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

OP
OP
cubeguy11

cubeguy11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok to answer everyone’s questions, my tank is 20 gallons and I do run carbon, if it is a case of chemical warfare what should I do to prevent it? Also yes I calibrate my refractometer at least once a month to make sure it’s working well.

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok to answer everyone’s questions, my tank is 20 gallons and I do run carbon, if it is a case of chemical warfare what should I do to prevent it? Also yes I calibrate my refractometer at least once a month to make sure it’s working well.
Just my personal opinion but a nem in a 20 with coral is asking for trouble. I have a 45 and wouldn't dare attempt it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BTA with coral, for softies, it just makes them close up, temporarily, they open back up not long after the nem stops touching them. It can kill SPS/LPS though.

I would just do a good sized water change and some tank maintenance and double check that temp is okay. Make sure all equiptment is functioning as it should.

1 inch is too close to a torch, torches can get angry and reach far.

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BTA with coral, for softies, it just makes them close up, temporarily, they open back up not long after the nem stops touching them. It can kill SPS/LPS though.

I would just do a good sized water change and some tank maintenance and double check that temp is okay.

1 inch is too close to a torch
With all due respect i call that an anomaly. I mean I keep a mantis shrimp and pistol shrimp in my reef and side from a nerite disappearing once in a while everything is kosher but wouldn't recommend it to anyone else because I got lucky. There's tons of horror stories from mantis shrimp and nems us who get lucky shouldn't recommend it because it's not typical. I say that respectfully.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do a water change and take it slow. Don't add anything so soon to going out of town, and definitely take it slower when something dies. Give it a month or two, not a week. Anemone is fine in a 20g. Your softies should recover in time, sorry the torch didn't make it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Suspect is water quality and false readings and agree on the Api kit being notorious for false readings hence the low cost for a Master kit and letting down Many reefers
Hanna and salifert more dependable and worth the cost. I see many who note they dont want to spend $50 on a reliable kit but wwill buy a $60 fish and then lose it. Fish dont talk - test kits DO

Torches pack one of the Highest stings of most coral

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect i call that an anomaly. I mean I keep a mantis shrimp and pistol shrimp in my reef and side from a nerite disappearing once in a while everything is kosher but wouldn't recommend it to anyone else because I got lucky. There's tons of horror stories from mantis shrimp and nems us who get lucky shouldn't recommend it because it's not typical. I say that respectfully.

My point was not whether he should have a BTA or not (I personally don't see anything wrong with having one if you know how to care for it and how to keep its wanderlust down) but that if the nem walked over soft corals, they should recover quickly. If they are not recovering, it is not the BTA.

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point was not whether he should have a BTA or not (I personally don't see anything wrong with having one if you know how to care for it and how to keep its wanderlust down) but that if the nem walked over soft corals, they should recover quickly. If they are not recovering, it is not the BTA.
I agree that recovery would be inevitable in a larger system but depending on how mobile the particular nem is it could continue to sing on a regular basis. I attempted it a couple years ago with a bta from petco and it beat the brakes off a kenya tree daily to like it had a grudge. Little things like that we don't know because each one is different. So with the situation in dating err on the side of caution.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspect is water quality and false readings and agree on the Api kit being notorious for false readings hence the low cost for a Master kit and letting down Many reefers
Hanna and salifert more dependable and worth the cost. I see many who note they dont want to spend $50 on a reliable kit but wwill buy a $60 fish and then lose it. Fish dont talk - test kits DO

The math makes even less sense when you consider that the $50 test kit can save multiples of $60+ dollar fish! Haha.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that recovery would be inevitable in a larger system but depending on how mobile the particular nem is it could continue to sing on a regular basis. I attempted it a couple years ago with a bta from petco and it beat the brakes off a kenya tree daily to like it had a grudge. Little things like that we don't know because each one is different. So with the situation in dating err on the side of caution.

idk I kept mine in a 20g for years... it is now in a 80 with a friend. It touches my zoa's non stop.

Once they settle and find a spot for it's foot, they don't move much in my experience.

I still don't think his multiple corals would be closed still if the bta was a problem.

I would look elsewhere...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What if you don’t even own a test kit anymore….

Back