Torch coral during cycle....

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m purchasing live rocks from, well, Petco. It’s a good Petco though, they have nice and healthy livestock, and very knowledgeable staff. When I looked around the other day at their live rocks, I noticed a MASSIVE torch coral, at least six inches in diameter. It was kinda tucked away, I wonder if they even know of its existence. I’m going back today to purchase the live rocks.
Here’s the dilemma: it’s too nice to not be interested in. I’ve wanted a torch coral, and one that massive and healthy seems too good to be true. I don’t know the price, but if it is cheap, then it might wind up being mine. The issue is that my tank has only been cycling for a few days. I by no means am someone who wants to jump right into livestock without cycling, and am prepared to be patient, but I need to know — is it possible to keep it alive this early? What would you do in this scenario?

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’d add it during that time personally, just watching how much my tank has been fluctuating idk if it’s have survived in mine tbh. However, if you have a friend that was willing to hold on to it for you while the tank stabilizes, I would consider that

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’d add it during that time personally, just watching how much my tank has been fluctuating idk if it’s have survived in mine tbh. However, if you have a friend that was willing to hold on to it for you while the tank stabilizes, I would consider that
Thanks! Unfortunately, I can’t think of anyone I know who could hold onto it. I wonder if Petco would hold it for me....
I suppose if it’s less than $20, I might take the risk. The responsible person in me says “NO!” but the curious and experimental me says “why not?”
I probably won’t go for it, because I want to do everything right. But, if it’s really inexpensive, it will be a tough decision.
Thanks for the advise though, I couldn’t agree more.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a local LFS that you frequent? Without a QT maybe ask him or her if they are willing to babysit for a while until your tank stabilizes enough to put it in there

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the only lfs close to me went out of business. :confused: Otherwise I’d be getting the live rock there....
I suppose there’s no feasible way to keep this coral alive, and I may have to pass it up. Would it be at all possible to keep this coral alive during cycling with attentive care? I mean with covid, staying home to be there for the coral ain’t too hard lol

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the only lfs close to me went out of business. :confused: Otherwise I’d be getting the live rock there....
I suppose there’s no feasible way to keep this coral alive, and I may have to pass it up. Would it be at all possible to keep this coral alive during cycling with attentive care? I mean with covid, staying home to be there for the coral ain’t too hard lol
personally i wouldn't...maybe Petco will let you purchase it and delay taking it home for a few weeks until the tank is ready? don't know how much longer you need? No other reefer friends you can call on?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally i wouldn't...maybe Petco will let you purchase it and delay taking it home for a few weeks until the tank is ready? don't know how much longer you need? No other reefer friends you can call on?
No one I can think of... most people I know only do freshwater, so reefing is pretty new to me. I’ll see if Petco can do that, and if not, I suppose I’ll have to give up on it.:(

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one I can think of... most people I know only do freshwater, so reefing is pretty new to me. I’ll see if Petco can do that, and if not, I suppose I’ll have to give up on it.:(
There will always be a torch available when your tank is ready, I wouldn’t sweat it, better to be patient and go for the long term success

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run into that piece I think I must have almost weekly. Just because you see it and one day it’s gone, doesn’t mean that another piece will never show up. Patience is key in this hobby.

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral do not require the tank to be cycled, as long as your not using anything to do a quick cycle like an ammonia additive. Reef builders did a whole new 20 gal tank and didnt cycle the tank prior. He also touched on that being misinformation that corals require a cycled tank. However corals will always do better in a mature tank. IF you want something its your money at the end of the day.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral do not require the tank to be cycled, as long as your not using anything to do a quick cycle like an ammonia additive. Reef builders did a whole new 20 gal tank and didnt cycle the tank prior. He also touched on that being misinformation that corals require a cycled tank. However corals will always do better in a mature tank. IF you want something its your money at the end of the day.
Thanks. Part of me says, it’s worth the risk, but, being a brand new reefer, why start off doing the wrong thing? I can always get a tiny frag and watch it turn into a monster like the one at Petco.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock will skip cycle and you can add coral day one
This is every pico reef for twenty years we all skip cycle, the old schoolers do

Let me know if you want the steps involved in buying Petco live rock, a torch, skipping the cycle, and keeping it alive just fine for a couple decades. It's easy

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also every macna convention, skip cycle + corals

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock will skip cycle and you can add coral day one
This is every pico reef for twenty years we all skip cycle, the old schoolers do

Let me know if you want the steps involved in buying Petco live rock, a torch, skipping the cycle, and keeping it alive just fine for a couple decades. It's easy
I’d love to hear more! I’d obviously want to take it easy, being a beginner, but would love to hear how to skip the steps... I already have a surplus in bacteria with the sand.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of this rock with torch.. I’m curious now lol with all the temptation
Will do! I may or may not get the torch, but have great plans with the rock work! I’ve made a build thread where I post the progress of my new tank!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 hr study material
The art of skip cycling :)

Steps
Do not use an ammonia or nitrite test kit in this move. For other cycles you can, but not this one. Testless for a reason

Take live rocks that have coralline, animals, pods, live rock... and bag them with water in the bag. Direct them to bag with water, decline if they counter offer.

Move bagged rocks home set in a tank of pre rinsed sand. Pre rinsed, see thread example on my study thread

Pre rinsed sand and wet transport rocks are skip cycle. Add water coral

Last edited:
Back