Torch Coral Health and Placement

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon, I have dipped and placed a new torch coral into my tank last night. Please See attached photos

I had a few questions:

1. How is the general health?

2. Will the torches tentacles continue to extend? (They do not look as long as when I purchased out of frag/lagoon tank; though I see the 'mouth' and bases of tentacles.)

3. The crooked and bubbly tips, is this ok / will go away?

4. Placement / Current, They are placed in a spot the tentacles seem to gentle drift around, picking up and falling all tentacles about every 10-15 sec, but swaying constantly (perhaps stagnant on lower right side a bit.)

Photo 1 from right side
IMG_20210201_124246.jpg

Photo 2 from front
IMG_20210201_124407.jpg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long had the coral been in your tank when you took these pictures? These corals like low flow areas IME, but can do fine in higher flows.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! It could just still be acclimating to your tank. Can you post some parameters of your tank?

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long had the coral been in your tank when you took these pictures? These corals like low flow areas IME, but can do fine in higher flows.
About 15 Hours, they are in a low flow area then I suppose.

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! It could just still be acclimating to your tank. Can you post some parameters of your tank?
I only have the basic parameters.

Red Sea Coral Pro - changed water a day ago, 25% of 25 gal

Salinity 1.024
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 2 ppm-ish
Nitrate - 25 ppm ish
PH - 8.2

RODI water used

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought these 2 torches on Saturday, only this morning did they fully extend, I,ve placed them mid tank, medium flow. Fed the tank reef roids

Attachments

• 20210201_182336.jpg
    20210201_182336.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 85

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is doing its warm-up stretches. should get in its full glory soon.
the time to adjust depends on how different ur water parameters are as compared to LFS's parameters.
I prefer to add corals in the evening before lights are out. my wavemakers are return pump are at stable flow then.
it will retract tentacles(like in your opening post) after a sudden change in parameters or light. dont be alarmed.
but keep an eye on the base/stump. if you see darker/browner patchdown there time to get alarmed. keep an iodine based coral dip in handy(if not already).
enjoy the mesmerizing wave motion of torch coral!!

CodeNameGoldMember

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone focuses on the tentacles of torches, which isn't the worst thing to keep an eye on but I've found the best factor for how your torch is doing is the flesh on the skeleton. When you get it, typically the flesh will end right into some white skeleton and generally from there just keep watch if it begins to retract at all. There are an insane number of things that can be going wrong but the best way to identify something is truly wrong is watching that flesh slowly recede.

List of potential issues:
Temp Swings
Alk/Calc Swings
Flat Worms
Fish nipping
Flow (A lot of people say low, but really IME it just comes down to not being in direct flow, varied flow to allow the tentacles to swing in the current and allow any detritus that lands on it to blow away)
There are definitely more but these are generally the first things to look at.

I realize I'm posting almost 2 weeks later, how is it looking now?

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone focuses on the tentacles of torches, which isn't the worst thing to keep an eye on but I've found the best factor for how your torch is doing is the flesh on the skeleton. When you get it, typically the flesh will end right into some white skeleton and generally from there just keep watch if it begins to retract at all. There are an insane number of things that can be going wrong but the best way to identify something is truly wrong is watching that flesh slowly recede.

List of potential issues:
Temp Swings
Alk/Calc Swings
Flat Worms
Fish nipping
Flow (A lot of people say low, but really IME it just comes down to not being in direct flow, varied flow to allow the tentacles to swing in the current and allow any detritus that lands on it to blow away)
There are definitely more but these are generally the first things to look at.

I realize I'm posting almost 2 weeks later, how is it looking now?
100% true. Its all about the white flesh underneath on torch's and hammers etc etc.

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks basically the same, all tentacles are only 1 inch long about, some are still lumpy and odd. None of them are inches long and super "flowy", the flesh looks good I can see the border of skeleton to flesh nothing weird, flesh is a pinkish pale depending on light, coral seems happy I just thought perhaps the tentacles would smooth and grow much longer. Indirect return pump, tentacles are waving slowly just not long and smooth.

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks basically the same, all tentacles are only 1 inch long about, some are still lumpy and odd. None of them are inches long and super "flowy", the flesh looks good I can see the border of skeleton to flesh nothing weird, flesh is a pinkish pale depending on light, coral seems happy I just thought perhaps the tentacles would smooth and grow much longer. Indirect return pump, tentacles are waving slowly just not long and smooth.
It’s an old post and I hope I can still get a response. Did you find out what was wrong with your torch?
My torch had smooth tentacles. Then I added another torch with tentacles like yours. It died and I believe it passed on those bumps to my first coral.

Back