OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look like yours are fully extended. Too much lighting or too much/little flow affects the extension of the tentacles.

The tentacles on my recently split heads are shorter, but they do lengthen over time. You can see some of these shorter tentacles in my original picture above at the bottom right hand corner of the torch. The tentacles on yours look really short and stubby. I had to take another look to make sure it wasn’t grape coral.
@troutman coincidentally another recent torch coral thread talking about tentacle extension.

I a month into owning this coral I went from return pump only to nero 5 on random, as you can see in my video I have good flow on the torch.

That being said when I added the flow, the torch really didn't change too much from having pretty much zero flow.
So I take all those with a grain of salt especially because plenty of people's torches enjoy much higher flow than I am running.

Gonna lower my lights settings again

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I a month into owning this coral I went from return pump only to nero 5 on random, as you can see in my video I have good flow on the torch.

That being said when I added the flow, the torch really didn't change too much from having pretty much zero flow.
So I take all those with a grain of salt especially because plenty of people's torches enjoy much higher flow than I am running.

Gonna lower my lights settings again

Your light is AI Prime 16HD, right?
How is the schedule?
Here is mine. I have 2 lights on my 40 breeder.
Screenshot_20210223-205037.jpg

My torch is directly under 1 of my light.

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20210223-223416.jpg

My torch is a bit off to the side of direct hit, light is 10 inch above water

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20210223-223416.jpg

My torch is a bit off to the side of direct hit, light is 10 inch above water
That's a funky schedule. But... I think you need to crank it up more. Those are very low numbers for lps.
Of course if you want to know for sure, rent a par meter.

Mine is 9 inches from the water.
IMG_20210210_002425214.jpg

Cant see the light from this picture but you can see the flex mount a bit.

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a funky schedule. But... I think you need to crank it up more. Those are very low numbers for lps.
Of course if you want to know for sure, rent a par meter.

Mine is 9 inches from the water.
IMG_20210210_002425214.jpg

Cant see the light from this picture but you can see the flex mount a bit.
Schedule is set to same parameters as yours. Except mine peaks to my visual preference at the time I come home then transitions back to brs, recent change my schedule before was exactly yours

scottsdalereefer170

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following along as I have the same exact problem with my Aussie torch. I’ve googled the heck out of this over the past 6 months and still have no answers. Maybe together, we can get some insight from the R2R community.

Some really great points already mentioned in this thread. While you may not have to dose Alk and calcium right now and can maintain them with water changes, it is still important to know your levels to help triage.

Below is what my torch looks like. I’ve had it for over a year. It started as a single head and now has at least 6-7 heads. It was smooth at first but something happened during these last 6 months as it grew. Now every single single tentacle is lumpy/bumpy and have some multiple tips. Otherwise the torch seems perfectly healthy with really nice extension.

My parameters:
Salinity - 1.024
Temp - 78
Phosphate and Nitrate - trace (I have an ULNS tank)
pH - 8.3
Alk - 8.1
Calcium - 435
Magnesium - 1310
Par at torch - approx 120-150

576E129B-C095-45C9-941C-29526A033FB3.jpeg
This is exactly what my torch looks like (might even be the same variety of torch, has the same colors), I am thinking of slowly increasing par as I hear some torches do better with slightly more par. Did you discover any thing else yet that helped with the appearance? I think the torch is happy and thriving, but I would prefer the tentacles to have that smooth look.

803ReefDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what my torch looks like (might even be the same variety of torch, has the same colors), I am thinking of slowly increasing par as I hear some torches do better with slightly more par. Did you discover any thing else yet that helped with the appearance? I think the torch is happy and thriving, but I would prefer the tentacles to have that smooth look.
Any luck on the tentacles smoothing back out? A couple of my torches are starting to get bumpy and lumpy

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back