Torch coral issues

stevenson166

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I will try to give as much info as i can...firstly here is a picture of my coral.
So as much as i can ...New tank 1 week old..2 clown fish who seem to be fine and the coral which sprung into life after a day or so. Never trully flourished but all tentacles were out. Water parameters taken after 4 days were Chlorine 0.02 fed 1/4 cube of mysis shrimp every other day. Thought i was neglecting feeding the coral so for the last 3 days have fed it 4ml of Red Sea Reef Energy Plus Coral Nutrition. Lighting was on acclimitisation but changed it to a normal setting yesterday ...it seemed fine then so maybe it was a the lighting (back on acc now) also did a 20% water change yesterday so 2 parameters there changed. Did water tests yesterday and Ammonia was still 0.02 , Nitrite 0.02 and Nitrate 0.00..I want to have a happy aquarium and look after everything...any help please
Lighting is Red Sea RL50

coral 2.jpg

Last edited:

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your issue = tank 1 week old. Since you have ammonia present. I’m assuming you used the fish to help cycle the tank. Ammonia is toxic to fish and corals, and a torch coral is extremely sensitive to water parameters. Who sold you this stuff? Never go back since they didn’t warn you!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to have a happy aquarium.
Work towards getting all 8 parameters in the same ranges that of the salt of your choice and implement a maintenance schedule to keep those numbers right on point throughout each day.

If you do the upfront work now while the ugly stages are occurring, keep your rock work clean, when they disappear, your corals will thrive.

If you go to early, the uglies get on corals and can either slow growth or outright kill things.

OP
OP
S

stevenson166

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply..I have this morning given the coral a "Dip" and then cleaned what looked like algae of it. I then used seacham prime and moved the coral closer to the water pump outlet (hoping to give it some way of getting clean. I have a wavemaker coming monday so will keep informed. I also fed it 4ml of the Energy reef plus...fingers crossed

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's got a chance in a week old speed cycled tank but who knows, stranger things have happened.

Op, you need to slow way down. Nothing good in this hobby happens overnight. Only disaster.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can return the torch, I suggest you do.
If not, is there a friend with a mature tank that can hold it for you for couple months.

Unfortunately, if you are keeping it, I would think it will die. Cause your tank is too new.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the red stuff all over your rock? Looks like cyano but you couldn't have that much in a one week old tank. Stop the feeding, that's definitely overload in your system

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using live rock or dry rock?
what did you use to cycle the tank? bottle bac & ammonia source?
when you cleaned what looked like algae off the torch it might be brown jelly disease, is there a lot of algae in the tank that looks to be the same?
i would stop feeding the Red Sea Reef Energy, that's a lot for a one week old tank if it's a small one, how many gallons is the tank?

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is dry rock. TMC Eco Reef
Feeding. Will Stop
Cycled the tank with "Start Up" from https://www.prodibio.com/start-quickly-cycle-tank-aquarium-water-bacteria-biological-filtration
There does not seem to be a lot of algae
Red Sea Energy . Will Stop
Tank with sump hold probably 150 litres
i know you want to save the torch but it's got a tuff road ahead with the tank being so young. you want to be sure it's not brown jelly on the torch though more importantly, if it is moving it infront of the pump outlet might spread it through the tank. is there still some of it on the torch? if so can you get a close pic of it?

OP
OP
S

stevenson166

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to get a better pic...it looks like stringy filaments..not much..i did gently blow it with a glass baster and lots of "dust" came off.
It looks a lot better now though.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stringy filaments sounds like it might be brown jelly, but i don't want to just jump to that conclusion. if it starts to accumulate on the torch again try to get a pic of it. if it's brown jelly you'll want to remove that coral from the tank as it will infect others.

OP
OP
S

stevenson166

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral still here today, I am cleaning it with a "Turkey Baster" and will then look at trying to deprive the alledged culprit "Diatom" of its food source Nitrate and Phosphate. To do this i have made a 20% water change yesterday and will stop feeding and then clean the top of the sand as i do not think it can penetrate sand. I will then use some Filter medias like Phosguard containing aluminum dioxide. Silicate and phosphate gets absorbed onto the surface of Phosguard and is then removed from the water. Hopefully this will help.

OP
OP
S

stevenson166

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the coral succumbed...i did not think brown algae could multiply so much in 12 hours...Have got x5 Trochus snails in now as my cleaning crew

Back