Torch coral seems to be recessing

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

My torch is not looking good. Ammonia 0, calc 500, mag 1450, salinity 35.

I'm not sure what I can do at this point to prevent whatever is happening here.

20200922_061843.jpg 20200921_170742.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things.

1. The tank looks to be very newly set up, or at the very least, not matured yet. Hard to tell for sure from a picture

2. Are those your exact readings? They seem a bit too “perfect” and too “precise” to be the exact readings. How did you test for them.

there are many reasons a euphyllia won’t open. Parameters, par too high, flat worms and many more. Did you dip the coral when you got it? What else is in the tank. You can get help here but we need more info and The most accurate info we can get to help.

Good luck. I will hop back on later to see if there is any more info and if I can help at all.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things.

1. The tank looks to be very newly set up, or at the very least, not matured yet. Hard to tell for sure from a picture

2. Are those your exact readings? They seem a bit too “perfect” and too “precise” to be the exact readings. How did you test for them.

there are many reasons a euphyllia won’t open. Parameters, par too high, flat worms and many more. Did you dip the coral when you got it? What else is in the tank. You can get help here but we need more info and The most accurate info we can get to help.

Good luck. I will hop back on later to see if there is any more info and if I can help at all.
It is very new, about 3 months old. I've had the torch for about a month and a half.

Here are my parameters, up to date of about 2 days ago. I will test again at around noon today and I will follow up.

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0.1 (I had just fed a couple hours earlier)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.05
Alk: 9.5
Calc: 500
Mag: 1500

I use Red Sea coral pro salt, and I'm fallow right now because of an Ich outbreak. I have some inverts (hermits, snails, tux urchin, fire red shrimp) remaining. I use BRS Reef Chilli every couple days to feed around them, and have a skimmer and UV sterilizer running (in tank sterilizer, HOB skimmer) with a HOB Tidal 75 filter (55 gallon tank). UV sterilizer runs from 8am to 8pm, Skimmer all the time, but I try to turn it off before bed.

I have 2 Hydra 32 HDs, about 10 inches off of the water, using the attached lighting schedule. I was using a different setup about a week ago, but I felt like my hammer coral was getting too much light (becoming more transparent in color). The attached lighting schedule comes from the Waterbox website that AquaIllumination put together for them.

I'll re-test in a couple hours and post those results. I also included a more zoomed up image of the coral, and what I used to initially dip it.

20200922_073356.jpg Screenshot_20200916-083826_myAI.jpg Screenshot_20200922-091543_Photos.jpg

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things.

8ph, 0, 0, 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Salinity is 35. Will check alkalinity again later. It seems like it's like half way out right now. Idk.

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always under the impression that 0 Nitrates was not the best for corals. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Kati537

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having similar issues with an ultra-low nutrient system. My torch has been slowly getting smaller over the past month. I was told that if your nitrates are 0 or undetectable this can be the reason.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently do a water change? Is your alk always at 9.5? You mentioned that you just went fallow, what was your alk reading before you did the water change? Euphilia can be sensitive to alk spikes and believe it or not water changes with pre-elevated parameter salt can cause a spike if you’re not careful. The stuff is masses produced so it’s not uncommon for batches to have variances in alk from 9.2 to 12. I made up a batch of reef crystals that had an alkalinity of 12.4. My euphilia shrank like little salty raisins. It was blind luck that I had watched a YouTube video from Inappropriate Reefer describing the same issue that made me measure my fresh salt mix.

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few problems with torches in a mature tank.
My lights run 10 hours. Don't think this matters but is different then mine.
Calcium seems a bit high (420)
Mag seems a bit high (1300)
Tank is really new. (Coral should go in about 6+ months after fish IMO)
I'd coral dip and give a day or two to recoup.
I'd lean towards target feeding reef chilli few times a week. Torches tend to like non ultra low nutrient systems.
Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back