Torch coral stuck in time - zero growth with growing torches around him

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a real headscratcher on my hands. Got 3 torch corals - had them for about a year now. Two of them are thriving, growing, all about that torch life. One of them hasn’t grown whatsoever, comes out but never fully.

Now based on the below params you’ll be quick to point out nutrients, but even when my nutrients were lower it was the same result. Other torches thrive while this one is surviving.

Params:
1.025sg
78 degree temp
8.7 alk
8.2 ph
28ppm nitrate
1ppm phos

My current guesses:

1. Some type of flatworm or pest annoying it.
2. Doesn’t get along with nearby torches - they do not ever touch though.
3. The flow is potentially too high - but then why are the other 2 thriving

C3AEA4BA-5D1F-4941-9B22-44EBC5FA413F.jpeg

66E50B47-424E-4B93-8784-DD467B39AD7B.jpeg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow brings nutrients. The downstream torch is starving because the upstream wall of torches are eatting everything that drifts into that area?

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow brings nutrients. The downstream torch is starving because the upstream wall of torches are eatting everything that drifts into that area?
I like where your head is at - but I don’t think lack of nutrients is my issue, I could be wrong though.

There is an abundance in the water column due to needing to feed 9 fish and for months I was actively feeding the coral until I caught my phosphates at 2ppm. Working them back down now.

It’s the strangest thing - seems otherwise perfectly happy but doesn’t grow and doesn’t fully extend. No tissue recession to speak of.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is alive there’s a good chance that eventually it will decide to be happy where it is at and it will start to grow like the others.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is alive there’s a good chance that eventually it will decide to be happy where it is at and it will start to grow like the others.
I’m debating trying to move it higher or somewhere with less flow - normally I’d agree l but he’s been in the tank for a year now

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m debating trying to move it higher or somewhere with less flow - normally I’d agree l but he’s been in the tank for a year now
Not to argue, but for discussion:

Corals that get naturally fragged don't walk around looking for a new spot to attach. They have to grow where they land. Sometimes it takes a long time to go get adjusted to the new location, but given time I think corals that we add to our tanks can/will adjust if the parameters needed are within an acceptable range. In your case, torches are doing fine in that neighborhood so presumably that spot should be fine.

I believe that moving adjustments in the wild and in our tanks cost the coral energy to make. Moving them around, imo/ime, is likely to do more harm then good. I COULD BE TOTALLY wrong about my opinion on this topic. I know a lot of folk move corals around looking for the sweet spot for growth. I think you are going to move yours? Please keep us informed on how the torch progresses, either way.

I find this topic very interesting and hope I did not offend the op with my statements or suggestions. :)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that not all torches Look the same. There's a lot of variability by location. That stubby guy should be growing, but the stubby tents don't tell me that there's something wrong. I've had a few naturally stubby guys and I trade them away as I prefer longer flowing Indo style expression.

There's a bunch of these "Dark Rasta" torches being sold everywhere right now, who's tentacles never extend past an inch.

The theory that the upstream torches are catching all of the food, before it gets to the stubby, I don't think holds much weight. Most of your torches energy is coming from the light and dissolved nutrients. Not what it catches in the water. Torches are also not all that efficient at catching what is in the water column so would be hard pressed to clean it completely ahead of a competing torch, leaving the stubby devoid of opportunity.

I don't think your nutrients are an issue. .1 po4 isn't high enough to cause issues here. 30 ppm NO3 are where my torches look the best.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back